Skip to main content

Aye, I love me scrumpy, me

Team Benry made a quick trip to the market this morning (encouraged by a pregnant, grumpy and hungry Jennifer, and an equally grumpy, always hungry, not at all pregnant Henry), and managed to bag myself a big jug of authentic scrumpy. I’d seen it there before but balked at the idea of lugging around the huge flagon and looking like a severely misplaced wurzel, but today we were on our way to the car and I thought now is the time to strike!

Now, I love my cider, all kinds of cider. I love the really fizzy stuff that makes you warm and stupid, and I like the fizzy stuffy that just tastes nice on a hot day. So Mercury Cider, very nice! Cascade ‘Sparkling Apple Juice’, yummy. But do you know what, I love my scrumpy, only it’s always been a bit of a struggle to get.

I know that “scrumpy" can be used in many senses and means different things to different people, but to me, ‘Scrumpy’ means real cider. By that, I mean that it has to be made more or less entirely from apples, it has to have a kick, and it has to be made using something akin to ‘traditional methods’.

In essence, THIS means that the juice is pressed from the apples and then fermented naturally, without anything else much being added. The scrumpy is then left to mature and after a while will be ready to drink.

I guess that this means that scrumpy is a fair bit different to the ‘cider’ that most people will be familiar with (and cider that I like now and again). That stuff is mostly made from concentrated apple juice, sugar and water, then pasteurised and carbonated.


Here is scrumpy in its natural habitat

Now, I am happy to report that the highly scientific Krispy taste test has given the scrumpy that I got today the big thumbs up. To anyone in Tassie, I couldn’t recommend it more highly. As is the way in this ultra-modern, post-industrial economy, this little traditional independent operation has their own website too, South Country Cyder. Please support them, I hope to be buying this stuff off these guys for another fifty years!

As with all things on teh internets, there are many internets scrumpy-related, two of the better ones that I have found are The Scrumpy User Guide; and the very useful UKcider wiki. So if you're not already a scrumpy freak out guy or girl, give it a burl, you'll never look back!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut