Skip to main content

About Tasmania

Given that I have been surprised to learn that there are people from all over who seem to be reading this blog; I thought that I would accept an open meme that was presented at Miss Cellannia's site some time ago. Of course, always short of ideas, I thought that I would rise to the challenge and today present to you "four sets of four things" about my home state – the artist formally known as Van Diemen's LandTasmania. As always, bias shall play no part in my representation of my home.


A Tasmanian Devil, looking very annoyed

Four things that you may have heard about Tasmania:

1. The Tasmanian Devil. Not to be confused with the Looney Tunes bloke.

2. Wilderness. Whether we're talking some of the world's biggest surf at Shipstern Bluff; wombats trekking through the snow at Cradle Mountain; the aptly named Hell's Gates on the West coast; world class bushwalking on the Overland Track; or just getting lost in one of the most remote and inaccessible areas in Australia, the unpopulated South West Wilderness area. Whatever it is that you're after outdoor wise, Tasmania has it.

3. The Thylacine. Also known as the Tasmanian tiger, Tasmanian wolf or Marsupial wolf, the thylacine was a large, meat-eating marsupial. It looked rather like a large dog with stripes and was rather shy. The last known live example died during the 1930s. For some reason, they thought that it would be a good idea to kill them all to protect some sheep.

4. A number of studies have established that Tasmania has the cleanest air in the world.


Scamander, a nice place for a swim on the East coast

Four Tasmanians that you may have heard of:

1. Errol Flynn. Maybe the most famous of all Tasmanians. Apparently very large in the trouser department. Notwithstanding some rather dodgy behaviour with both the ladies AND ducks, a good solid Tasmanian representative.

2. Ricky Ponting. I'd love to have put David Boon, but Ponting is the Aussie captain after all. I figure at least 1 billion Indians know who he is!

3. Ettie Annie Rout. A favourite of mine, the Kiwi's claim her (even though they disowned her for a time). Ettie's work among servicemen during World War I made her something of a war hero when she targeted the appalling rate of venereal disease that undermined the Allied armies. She identified this as a medical not a moral problem, but one that should be approached like any other disease, with all available preventive measures. She later turned her attention to the sexual education and empowerment of women.

4. I'm going to have to go with the twirly guy listed above, the Looney Tunes bloke. Who am I kidding, he is the world's most recognisable Tasmania, everyone knows him!


Nelson Falls, on the West coast, a good place for walking

Four oft overlooked beautiful places in Tasmania:

1. The beautiful North West coast of the state. Much derided, I defy anyone to tell me that the coastline from Cape Grim right through Stanley and Burnie (my home town) onto Devonport is not one of the prettiest stretches in the world.

2. The rugged and beautiful West coast of the State (including Strahan).

2. The even more rugged and beautiful South West of the state.

4. Freycinet National Park, on the East coast. Alright, it isn't overlooked much, but it is very lovely!


Stanley, on the North West coast

Four Tasmanian Products that you have to try:

1. You can keep your shoddy pretenders; Tasmania is home to the world's best cheese!

2. What could go better with cheese than beer?

3. If the idea if beer and cheese doesn't rock your boat, how about cheese and wine!

4. Being an island, you won't be too surprised to hear that our seafood really is the best going around. There are lots of tasty treats, especially the abalone, lobster, salmon, trevalla, stripey trumpeter, ocean trout, scallops, oysters, mussels. If you can name it, we can catch it and serve it on a plate! (Although whale can be very to hard to get these days...)


Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks for all this info, I hope I'll visit Tasmania one day, soon I hope
cheers!
Sue said…
I agree! Tassie is truly a stunning place. I think Stanley is especially nice. I haven't personally been to many places but have seen a lot of photos.
I remember thinking the first time I came over that it reminded me a lot of New Zealand...another visually superb place!
You are very lucky to live there! A great place to bring up children.
Thanks for the photo of the Tasmanian Devil. Until now I thought that they really looked like Taz from the Luney Tunes cartoons.
Janet said…
Tasmania may have the cleanest water in the world as well! Great photos.
iqpLENS said…
This is a wonderful post with lots of information worthy for any traveler coming to that part of the world. Tasmania, looks like a great place to visit.
Neva said…
This is absolutely the reason I love THE CDPB.....I have never heard of 3/4 of your blog...ok....just Errol Flynn and the Tasmanian Devil if I am being completely honest! Your part of the world seems a lovely and diverse place to live. thanks for sharing!
Unknown said…
Your posts are hilarious, or I should say, you are. I am enjoying reading your blog and looking at your pictures. :)
Kris McCracken said…
I would recommend Tasmania as a worthy desitination to visit. But then again, I'm quite keen on visiting Auckland, Liege, Alabama, Barbados, Illinois and Texas, amongst other places.

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut