Skip to main content

66 things that will strengthen your presentation!

As I have banged on about of late, I've been in attendance at a conference for the past three days. Over the course, I've had the privilege of seeing some world class brains on a variety of issues do excellent and engaging presentations, and then there were others who maybe were something less.

No different from any conference then! I began jotting a few questions that I would suggest future presenters read and think about before they get around to deliver the talk. In part, this began as a bit of a venting process during poor presentations, but upon reflection, I actually think that each point is actually quite valid. Even (especially) the ones written in frustration.

So here they are, my list of things to think about when preparing a presentation:

  • What are you trying to say?
  • Is it worth saying?
  • Have you actually thought about what it is that you will say?
  • Is there anything new or original in what it is that you have to say?
  • Are you attempting to construct an argument?
  • If so, does it progress in a logical manner?
  • If not, is it worth presenting at a conference?
  • Have you considered what material may be unnecessary?
  • Are you prepared to discard all that which is unnecessary?
  • If not, why not?
  • Have you considered whether anyone will be interested in what it is that you have to say?
  • Are you interested in what it is that you have to say?
  • If not, why bother saying it?
  • Have you considered the relevance (or otherwise) of the material that you wish to present?
  • Have you ‘tested’ you material on anyone?
  • If not, why not?
  • Are you comfortable talking about the topic that you intend to talk about in a general setting?
  • If not, why have you chosen to present on this topic?
  • Will you be reading directly from prepared notes?
  • If so, is this absolutely necessary?
  • Do you intend to engage eye contact with anyone through the course of your presentation?
  • Have you given any thought on visual aids?
  • Are you going to use PowerPoint?
  • Why are you using PowerPoint?
  • Have you given any specific thought to the material that you are including in your PowerPoint presentation?
  • If not, why are you using PowerPoint?
  • If so, have you really given thought to your PowerPoint slides? REALLY?
  • Do you feel that 50 slides in a 25-minute presentation is an effective use of PowerPoint?
  • Is a floral theme appropriate for charts tracking mortality rates?
  • Are ‘themed slides’ EVER appropriate for conference papers?
  • How much information are you loading onto your graphics?
  • How much do you think is too much?
  • How long will you leave each slide up?
  • Is this enough time?
  • If not, do you really need the visual aide?
  • Have you considered altering the tone and inflection of your voice at any point in your talk?
  • What about movement? Do you plan to move at all?
  • If not, why not? Do you have a specific reason for standing still throughout the presentation?
  • Are you at all interested in engaging your audience?
  • Have you given any thought about how you might go about engaging you audience?
  • Have you given any thought to what engages you as an audience member?
  • Are you familiar with the notion of a ‘colourful anecdote’?
  • Have you considered the appropriateness (or otherwise) of any ‘colourful anecdote/s’ you are thinking of using?
  • Are you aware of the dangers of condescension?
  • Have you considered whether any of the comments that you intend to make are libellous?
  • If so, are these comments really necessary?
  • Are you familiar with the concept of ‘self-deprecation’ and its ability to ease tension within an audience?
  • Do you have a significant fear of speaking in front of a group of people?
  • Have you thought about what those fears are grounded in?
  • Have you thought about whether someone else in your department or organisation might be better placed to deliver a public presentation?
  • Have you considered doing a poster?
  • Have you checked your PowerPoint presentation for spelling and grammar?
  • Are you familiar with the rules around using apostrophes?
  • Are you familiar with apostrophe?
  • Do you plan to cry during your presentation?
  • If so, could you try not to?
  • Do you intend on introducing further questions for the audience to take away with them to consider?
  • If not, can you think of any that may stimulate people to think about your work after you have finished?
BROADLY THEN:
  • WHAT are you saying?
  • WHY are you saying it?
  • HOW are you saying it?
  • WHY are you saying it HOW you are saying it?
If you have asked and answered these questions, ask yourself this:
  • Is it still worth saying?
  • Will people benefit from hearing it?
  • Is this the best way of saying it?
  • Has this process aided in any way of saying it better?

Comments

Sue said…
Hey ...I hope YOUR presentation went well?? I am sure it did. I also hope your illness from the weekend did not affect you in any way.
I think all your points about presentations have much merit...and I wish that when I went to professional development days the speakers would all follow your guidelines in making a presentation less boring! Perhaps you could hold a conference and do a presentation about this very thing!?? haha
Kris McCracken said…
I didn't really get a chance to 'road test' it as such, so there was a fair degree of winging it involved. I don't really use PowerPoint, so that wasn't an issue. The topic didn't really require any hard data and I don't intend testing anyone on it, so there was little point in graphics.

I guess the key thing for me is that I don't mind talking in front of large groups, I've pretty much concentrated on this one topic (clinical supervision) for the past 6 months, so really, if I couldn't stand up and talk about it in a vaguely interesting way for only 25 minutes, well, I shouldn't be in the job!

The biggest problem that I had was in balancing some very real criticisms of the group of organisations that I've been working worth (most of who had representatives there), with delivering an overall message that was positive. I think that I got the balance about as right as I could, but who knows?

I get the feeling that some of my remarks were more 'cutting' then perhaps this sector is used to, but hey, they have needed a real boot up the backside for a long time.
Sue said…
I am in awe of you. I find it so hard to get up and speak in front of a lot of people. Which is strange...as I can talk the leg off a chair at any other time!
I would be really interested to hear about your work one day..I'd love to know all about what you do...it is such an interesting field.
What organisations do you work with?
Kris McCracken said…
It's all about confidence I guess. But then again, I've done plenty of lectures and seminars over the past eight years. Not to mention year after year of taking tutorials. You get better at it (hopefully), and learn some of the tricks at keeping audiences engaged (again, if you're paying attention).

I've never really understood how some of the lecturers that I've seen through university are so poor at public speaking when they've done it for years and years. It really isn't that hard. And to be honest, if they say "oh I just don't like doing it" I can't help but think "why enter this industry then"? I'm not too keen on snakes, so I wouldn't go and get a job in a reptile park!

I'll send you a Facebook breakdown of what I do all day. It will bore you to tears!
Dina said…
This is really good. You show such consideration for the captive audience.
Glad you included the apostrophe, since it always seems to be put in the wrong place by Australians.
Good to read more about you here in the comments too.
Kris McCracken said…
The lack of idea around the apostrophe drives me mad, I remember having it neatly explained to me in grade 2 or 3, and really isn't very hard at all. Making essays at uni would curl your hair, the disregard for grammatical rules. Seriously, the amount of times I have had to write: "this is not a sentence"!

Anyway Dina, I see that you're learning Arabic, now THAT would be a challenge! Languages are a lot of work, especially learning to read and write in them.
EG CameraGirl said…
Bwahahaha! Your mind was certainly active while you were "listening."
Kris McCracken said…
It actually wasn't too hard to jot down questions and follow the talks, as at least 75 percent of the presenters were just reading verbatim off the PowerPoint.

I will admit that at least half of these came to me during a dire speech by a bureaucrat who had appeared to have cut and paste random snippets of policy and blunder through reading them (broken up, of course, with plenty of 'ums' and 'ahs').
ptowngirl said…
If you didn't already "Digg" this, then you should! This is a useful list that everyone doing presentations should take into consideration, plus it has great humor.

ptowngirl
HamptonRoadsDailyPhoto.com
Sarah said…
Well... I wish I'd read this 3 weeks ago! I apparently did well in my presentation, but I would have felt better had I read something like that beforehand... I'm going to bookmark you for next time :)
Tassiegal said…
I TOTALLY agree with you..with regards to the essay marking, the presentation giving and everything! I dont understand ppl who either.
1. Talk directly off the powerpoint
2. WRITE the whole fricking talk down and then READ the blooming thing....

I have always been taught that if you are using visual aids they should ENHANCE your talk, not detract from them....

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut