Skip to main content

(My) Photo(s) of the day

As promised yesterday, today I'm presenting a series of photos taken on the Henry Fitzgerald McCracken Football and Cricket Arena (HFMFCA). It features a young man in his formative years stepping out on the hallowed turf for a bit of training before his inevitable ascension to the big league.

Buoyed by his beloved Bombers' return to form in their crushing of the Carlton Football Club, Henry took to the arena with a renewed sense of vigour and the intensity of ten Bengal tigers!


However, the first shot that I've chosen is not one of action, but one of introspection. In many ways, elite athletes are no different from elite philosophers. Just prior to this shot, Henry and I were discussing Kant's notion of the categorical imperative and it's relation to the banana kick from the boundary line. Henry gazed off into the distance, reflecting on the shadow cast by the goal posts at the western end of the ground and confirmed that Camus was indeed close to the mark in his observation that "All I know most surely about morality and obligations, I owe to football."

The second photo was taken just after Henry had launched a booming torpedo punt over my head. Henry stopped and ruminated upon the kick as it sailed between the uprights. Just after his goal, he said to me "Behind every action, there must be a thought. Behind every kick at goal, one has to think about kicking the ball."


The last of my pictures is an action shot. Without warning, I attempted a quick stab pass that shot off target over Henry's right shoulder. Like a cat, the little bloke shot out his right hand and took a splendid mark. A smile broke out on his face as he concluded: "True happiness can be found in the unanticipated one-handed grab." How right he is!



As we trudged back home after the training session, I couldn't help but think of who this young man reminds me of.

Comments

Uma por Dia said…
Beautiful, keep on trsining :)
Anonymous said…
I can see pure joy and happiness about these photos! Very valuable time in your life to have such a treasure like he is.

and thank you for your comment on my site.

Have a happy week with your family!
Jules said…
Thanks for popping into the island at the top of Australia as apposed to the one at the bottom.

How sweet. Mine are now 13 and 16 and rolling their eyes and saying "Oh Mum" - make the most of it!!!!
Anonymous said…
Oh my. These are priceless photographs. You post is fantastic.

Did you ever see a tiny fly hanging on the edge of a honey bee's wing?

Abraham Lincoln in Brookville, Ohio had a picture of one that he took.
Kitty said…
He is ADORABLE!!

I love Henry's proportion. Just adorable. I have no other word for it.

Henry is quite a popular name right now, isn't it? I know another Henry just about the same age. I wonder how that happens?

Wonderful blog. I'll be back to visit when I have more time!
Anonymous said…
Good onya mate. This is something only an Aussie footy bloke/father on the oval with his little matie could write.
Anonymous said…
Sorry, I clicked too fast. That's from me, not from Anonymous.
Chuck Pefley said…
Clever post and cute lad. With aspirations and guidance from you he will undoubtedly achieve greatness. Dreams are what it's all about!!

Thanks for your comment on my blog today. Virus bug has retreated for the moment anyway. ~Chuck
Olivier said…
belle série, c'est du football australien, j'en ai jamais vu, il parait que c'est assez violent ?


Beautiful series, the Australian football, I have never seen, it seems that it's quite violent?
Destitute Rebel said…
Nice pictures, my nation is cricket crazy but for some reason I never caught the germ, I can play sometimes but don't have the patience to watch a match all day, with the new 20/20 format maybe it would get a little more exciting. Just by the way I passed the Gaddafi Stadium in Lahore today and the flood lights were on, I was remembering the world cup final between Sri Lanka and Australia, I was in high school and that was one match I watched.
Kris McCracken said…
We try not to remember that 1996 World Cup final Rebel here in Australia. We much prefer talking about '99, '03 and '07. We might even talk about '87, but not 1996.

Oliver, it has its moments of violence, but generally of a colliding sort, rather than a 'this guy whacks another guy' variety. That's generally been phased out.
Janet said…
What fun! This is such a cute age. Enjoy him!
Pat said…
Ohhh, I love this series! What a sweetie!

Thanks for visiting Guelph (and you know how to pronounce it!) That bird is so ugly!

Pat

Guelph Daily Photo,

href="http://patzpics.blogspot.com/">My Photos
.
Barry Freelove said…
Is that Lindisfarne's home ground? Will we be seeing Henry in a blue guernsey soon? It can get a bit windy there. Do the Farne still use the stab pass as a secret weapon?
It is a wonderfull age, we know it from our grandchild!
Kris McCracken said…
Henry always draws the most comments. He's getting a big head!

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut