Skip to main content

This post in Not Safe For Work…

Today’s topic, boys and girls, is a deadly serious one. There is no easy or polite way to introduce it, aside from offering a caution for the faint hearted. So here is your warning: if you are easily offended or already aware of the dangers of indulging in a little self-love, please look away now, normal service will resume after the post.

Now that the prudes have all left the room, here is an extract (allegedly) from the French text Le livre sans titre (‘The book with no title’), published in 1844.The title of the panel of pictures is “The Fatal Consequences of Masturbation”, and will no doubt send shudders of fear rippling through people (young and old) the world over. Teenage boys in particular should take note of the cautionary tale.

Now, a bit of research has left me uncertain as to the veracity of the extract. Those in the know seem to think that the language (French) does seem genuine to the time, but whether or not the images and text have not been doctored, I’m uncertain. It’s about a 50/50 chance I would say.

So you be the judge:

What I do know that this probably wouldn’t have been too far out of place in the nineteenth century. Victorian medicine routinely saw masturbation touted as an almost universal cause of everything from insanity to hair loss. One Dr. Reveille Parise was quoted in 1823 as saying
In my opinion neither the plague nor war has had more disastrous effects for mankind than the miserable habit of masturbation.

This sound commentary (and much more) can be found in John Harvey Kellogg’s Plain Facts for Old and Young. Yes, the brains behind cornflakes had an overwhelming fear of giving the half-blind dog a run for his money.

One other thing that I have learned for trying to figure out the veracity (or otherwise) of this is the sheer preponderance of websites dedicated to masturbation. Seriously, Google "masturbation" and you get 39 million hits!

Moreover, they are not all filthy, pervert-ridden pages either! You've got Advanced Masturbation for experts; The Ultimate Male Masturbation Resource (Jackin'World.com!) for men and boys of all ages; Let's Masturbate, which features "hints and tips: how to masturbate well" for ladies and gents; and if all of this masturbation is wearing you out, why not have a sit down and a nice cup of tea in the Masturbation Lounge?

Comments

Sue said…
Hey...it's a wonder no-one thought to adapt the 'Baby Alice Thumb Guard' to stop the repulsive habits of misguided youths! HA! HA!

Anyway...I may print off the 'Fatal Consequences of Masturbation' guide and leave a few copies about the Year 9 Homeroom tomorrow to see what the boys have to say!
Kris McCracken said…
They may be a few coughs and splutters. Some might not even make it through the day!
Now I understand why it says "No abuse please" on your comments page. It's a public service message, not mere neurotic cringing as I had thought.

Seriously though, you've got to admire this little Frenchman's persistence. Teeth gone, hair gone, pustules erupting, etc., he nevertheless carries on to the bitter end.
Kris McCracken said…
I agree, "no self-abuse please" would perhaps have been clearer.

I wonder what the carbon footprint of a chronic masturbator is? That might explain any peaks and troughs in temperature. We need to get Kelloggs onto this!

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut