Skip to main content

Reading and libraries

As a lover of reading, and a regular user of the Tasmanian public library system, I have been fascinated by this post “Do Pakistanis Read? (and the missing libraries of Pakistan)” on the excellent All Things Pakistan website.

It got me thinking, what is the state of public libraries in other countries? I really don’t know. Similarly, I am not really aware of the varieties of cultural attitudes to reading. So I decided to ask anyone visiting this blog to let me know, do you personally use libraries? Do you think that there is an easily defined attitude towards reading in your particular country? I would love to know.

Comments

Maria Verivaki said…
hi kris, i really could go on forever about livraries. in the little town where i live *CHANIA*, there is a children's library - very good one, but all books are in greek - and an adult's library - but only for reference. WHEREAS in wellington, NZ where i was born, i was a regular user of the fantastic 7-floor (including cafe) modern library and this is the first place i vcisit when i go back to NZ (which isnt very often nowadays).
public libraries are the borderless least discriminating pulic places in the world
Helen said…
Due to distinct lack of linguistic dexterity in Deutsch, I haven't actively sought out any public libraries in my town yet, but I'm sure they are around and actively used here in Germany.

Also, congratulations on the impending arrival of #2! Such an exciting time for your growing family.
Anonymous said…
I used public librariers a lot when I was younger, the younger the more. Nowadays I don't use them any more. I buy books and I swap books on the Internet.
yournotalone said…
Well this is very interesting question. At the age of internet who is going to use libraries? And here is the thing - Riga city council is building a highrise National Library - Castle of Light. It will store hard copies of most valuable books in the world and provide internet access (I guess for free). It has more symbolic than practical meaning. Having said that there is a number of opponents who argue that it is waste of resources (cost 300 000$).

For me there is another aspect - internet will never gain full trust - wiki is a good example of fake or imprecise factology:)
When I was young I was an avid reader and loved visiting the library in the village where I lived.

Nowadays I rarely use the library locally (partially because I have a large personal library) but the majority of libraries in the UK now offer free internet access (sometimes limited) and I take advantage of this when on holiday.
We have good libraries in Victoria and lots of people use them. They also carry cds/dvds/videotapes/audiobooks. When I was a kid I used the libraries extensively but not so much now - I always forget to take the books back on time and have to pay as much in fines as if I had bought the books in the first place. Since I spend a fair amount of time in 2nd hand stores I usually buy my books there. I think fewer people are reading these days than used to be the case. More people get their information from videos or television and many don't read anything besides street signs and cereal boxes. Our libraries are great sources of kids' books and these are very important if a child is going to grow up as someone who reads comfortably and pleasurably. If we had to buy the books my grandchildren voraciously read we'd break the bank for sure. Thanks to libraries they are hooked on books. Another interesting question is why some people think books are "better" than tv. (I do!)
freefalling said…
I LOVE the library.
But I've only started using them in the last 5 years.
They've got ALL THIS STUFF and it's FREE!
I think they are the most fantastic resource and can't believe I never really valued them.
I've got three books on the go from the library at the moment - 2 useless ones and Peter Carey's Ned Kelly one.
I used to buy all my books but then I ran out of room plus they just used to sit there after I finished with them - http://tinyurl.com/4fa2po
And I really hate to buy a book and then not like it.
Like "Walden" - I'd heard so much about it but it was a serious snooze fest - so disappointing.
Same with Slaughterhouse Five (I just think I'm not clever enough to appreciate that one.)
Anyway...I've ordered the The Russia House from my library last week (coz I saw it on some bloke's blog and thought I might give it a crack - can you guess whose blog?).
You can see my library's giant yoyos if you like - here.
http://tinyurl.com/4srsst
EG CameraGirl said…
Kris,
Yes, I use my local library. In fact, I'm on the board of my local friends of the library. My small town is large in land area -- 92 square miles -- so has two library branches. Neither branch is that well stocked, but Ontario has a province-wide lending system (which sometimes goes beyond provincial boundaries to include all of Canada and, believe it or not, libraries in the U.S.)

Of course, borrowers can wait a l-o-nnnng time for a rare book to arrive.

A local poet runs a fabulous book discussion club. I used to attend but have been too busy of late. I might start up again in the fall because the club encourages me to read books beyond what I might choose on my own.

The children's section of both branches is well stocked, however, And the library offers preschool activities throughout the year as well as book clubs during the summer for school-aged kids.

Books are NEVER going to go out of style. I'll NEVER take my computer with me to read in bed. Nope, NEVER!
Kris McCracken said…
Good to hear that the libraries are still getting a workout then. I bought books (secondhand and new), but to be honest, I've run out of room and did get a bit sick of so many ordinary books. The library allows me to be more 'discriminating' in what I spend money on. Henry gets all the purchased books these days!

The best part about our system now, is that you can browse online, stick in an order for any one from any library (eg. Burnie or King Island), and they ship it to my local library (Rosny) within 5 days! For free!!! It's amazing. This applies equally to DVDs, CDs, audiobooks etc.

The other good thing is that invite people to suggest new purchases. Thus, you can get online, fill in a form (including why you think that the purchase would improve the library), and they'll buy it, and you get first loan. I've had three of these in the past year.

As you can probably tell, I do a lot of advertising for the library.
Priyanka Khot said…
Hi Kris,

I love to read. Its rare that I am without a book in my hand. I read English, Hindi and Marathi books. Often I borrow books from Libraries. Because no way can i store all the books i read in my house. :-)

More n more people in Delhi are reading these days... tho i don't think may go to lib anymore.

Priyanka from Delhi, India

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary