Skip to main content

You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a smile and a gun.



I am continuing my ‘urban grit’ theme today, with another image of the out-of-control wild streets of Hobart. Yes, today we have a photograph of barbed wire.

For reasons obviously beyond my feeble comprehension, there is a bundle of haphazardly arranged barbed wire on the side of the fire escape to keep reprobates off of the roof of this building.

The logic behind this placement intrigues me. You see, the barbed wire only extends perhaps 1.5 metres across the ledge adjacent to the roof top, but the fire escape itself extends at least 2.5 metres, but more likely 3. This would allow enough space for all but the most corpulent of miscreants to freely access the roof and commit all sorts of heinous acts with the pigeons nestled on top.

This oversight leads me to think that I can safely rule out roof access as the reason behind the inexplicable placement of the barbed wire. However, the wire does not sit in front of anything but a bare brick ledge. It protects no skylight, vent, power box or air conditioning unit. It most certainly does not protect a trench on the Western Front of France (which it faintly resembles). It just sits there on a 1.5 metre bare patch of a join between the fire escape and the building.

I have contemplated whether or not it is possibly an art display, as the fire escape overlooks an ‘art space’. This I have ruled out though, as I think it is far too creative and oblique for the standard of art usually observed around these parts.

Comments

Rita said…
Kris - I have noticed Hobart seems to have a few of these unexplained and illogical 'bits' around! I shake my head, then continue on with my life when I see them.
blackie said…
erm...what if there is a fire?
Kris McCracken said…
The issue of a fire is a pertinent one, as our building currently a) has no smoke alarms; b) has no sprinklers; c) no precautions plan; and d) no fire wardens.

I did have a plan in case of fire, but ever since a colleague ceased his employ at the end of May, I have no fat person to land on should I wish to jump from the third floor window.

Not to worry though, the fire plan was put on the agenda for 'immediate action' during my first team meeting. Alas, this was August 2007!
Mark said…
Kris, I am rediscovering your site as I have not been surfing as much as I should have been. Thanks fo rthe comment about the empress. I have responded to your post.

I hope your wife got the bath she deserved and you remained choc dribble free ;-)
This makes my rubbish pic a few weeks ago look pituresque. What the hell would you have barbed wire there. I think it's something to do with islands, I am finding this place more bonkers than any big city, and it seem yours is likewise.
sam said…
hehe, maybe the fencing guy got his wires crossed! It was meant to be on the building next door?
Coach said…
Kris - I like the new Banner/Masthead/ Have you "gone local"?
Kris McCracken said…
Coach, I am a friend to the 'local', but I shall remain loyal and true to Burnie and the North West Coast of Tasmania until my last breath!

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary