Skip to main content

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori



Being Monday, today was Pregnastics day again, which meant that Henry and I had to decided what to do for the evening. After a long and vigorous debate (we nearly came to blows), we finally settled on making ANZAC biscuits. That way, Jennifer would have a treat ready when she came home, and also have a bribery option should mini-Mussolini play up tomorrow. Thus, the photo that you see above are the fruits of our labour (minus a few that had to be taste tested prior to the photo session).

Some of you would no doubt be very familiar with the ANZAC biscuit, but I would wager than even more are not. For the benefit of those who haven't heard of - or tasted - them, I will give a bit of back story. Even better, I'll give you a 100 percent guaranteed easy peasy recipe!

Now, there are a few theories on the origins of ANZAC biscuits, but what we do know is that they emerged in their present form during the First World War. For the REAL beginners, the term 'ANZAC' originated as an acronym for the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps, an army corps of Australian and New Zealand troops who fought in 1915 at the Battle of Gallipoli.

Some say that the biscuits were developed by troops in the trenches with provisions at hand to relieve the boredom of rations. Others argue that they came from women at home in an effort to make a treat for their loved ones that would survive the long journey to the front.

Whatever the case may be, they are well worth the effort, because they are rather tasty, and incredibly simple to make.

You will need:

1 cup plain flour
1 cup rolled oats (regular oatmeal) uncooked
1 cup desiccated coconut
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 tbsp golden syrup (or maple syrup)
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tbsp boiling water

Preheat the oven at 180°C (350°F).

Combine the flour, oats, coconut and sugar in a bowl.

Melt the butter in the microwave. (Some have argued that ANZACs invented the microwave out of old tin of bully beef, bits of string and a broken gramophone. Admittedly, these people are mentally ill, but that shouldn't make their opinion any less valid!)

Mix the bicarbonate of soda with the boiling water, add the Golden Syrup and add the butter.

Pour the liquid into the dry ingredients and mix well.

Spoon dollops of mixture onto a greased tin leaving as much space again between dollops to allow for spreading.

Bake in a moderate oven, 180°C (350°F), for around 16 to 18 minutes, or at least until the go a golden colour.

Cool on a wire rack, and keep sealed in airtight containers.

EAT THEM!


But as much as I like ANZAC biscuits, I don't like them anywhere near as much as I like my two favourite little ANZACs of all:



[This one is from October of last year, so that should explain why Henry looks much smaller and why Jen isn't up the duff.)

[Oh, and my last comment for the day, I'm using the title today as a nod to Wilfred Owen's magnificent poem, probably my favourite of the 'War Poets'. So yes, it should be uttered with distaste rather than fervor.]

Comments

Your wagering is right - never heard of them, and can't even think I've seen anything similar. Thanks for sharing the recipe, we'll give it a try.
Neva said…
What a great photo of your 2 favorite anzac's!I am going to try out your biscuts.....
Oh how I love, love, love ANZAC biccis... haven't had one in ages... no over here in the US really likes 'em... oh I stumbled across your site through Aminus3
yournotalone said…
I sometimes feel a bit upset that I currently do not let myself have a kind of lifestyle you are living.

I am fed up with a city life - dirty city air, airconditioned office, demanding and stresfull work and want to downgrade and move out it:)

Do you live far away from the city?
Meead said…
Thank you for your comment Kris.
Nice photos! I like to taste the biscuits. They look delicious!
Kris McCracken said…
The biscuits are well worth the effort.

Aigars, by any world standard, we live not far from the CBD (outside of peak traffic, it takes about 8 minutes to drive into town). For Hobartians, that appears to be "out in the sticks". As a North West Coaster, I can testify that they are an odd mob.

Life is okay, but I am reasonably sure that the stress levels will rise with a baby AND a toddler running around in a few weeks time. I reckon that Riga will look VERY inviting during those night feeds!
Susan said…
A great photo-you have a beautiful family.

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut