Skip to main content

Freedom in a commons brings ruin to all



A number of days ago I spoke about a concept often used in teaching political science called The Tragedy of the Commons. To illustrate, I used one of my stock examples, that of whaling. Today, I could not help but photograph another of my hoard of examples to demonstrate public policy problems, which may be more readily apparent to people the world over.

The building in which my office is located houses a number of businesses. Each floor of the converted warehouse has a small kitchenette, shared between offices. There are just three offices on the top floor, ours; a barrister/solicitor office; and an IT crowd who seems to do some sort of animation.

As one might expect, the barrister and staff are all very neat and tidy, and for the most part our lot buy their lunch and don’t really use the kitchenette. I do, however, enjoy an instant coffee on a cold morning, so regularly use the kettle. That is generally the extent of my usage.

The IT crowd, predictably, consists of a group of young, socially introverted men who happen to subsist on hot chocolate, toasted sandwiches, microwavable meals et cetera. As with many people these days (not just men), their notion of cleanliness is [ahem] somewhat different to mine.

While I am happy to fill their dirty cups and wine glasses with warm water in an endeavour to make washing them a less laborious task, I stop short of the actions of our Finance and Administration Officer, who has been known to wash all the dirty dishes completely. In a sense, this illustrates a public policy concept that will be familiar to everybody: the free rider problem.

“Free riders” are best understood as those who consume more than their fair share of a resource, or shoulder less than a fair share of the costs of its production. The free rider problem is the question of how to prevent free riding from taking place, or at least limit its negative effects.

I would argue that Vernon washing the dishes enables the IT crowd’s free riding, and that by simply leaving the dishes they will eventually notice the costs of their free riding, and take action themselves. Of course, the community (floor three of the building) must also bear such costs at the same time.

The solution? Well, similar to the 'tragedy of the commons', “freedom in a commons brings ruin to all”. While we would all like it to be that everybody should be unconstrained to act in whatever way they feel, a laissez faire approach will inevitably end up like the picture above.

Now, we might find the solution in one of, or a combination of, a number of responses. Broadly, political science undergrads are introduced to the concepts of market, bureaucratic and community models of regulation.

A ‘market’ response might be to attach a monetary cost to negative behaviour. Thus, any office that leaves dirty dishes in the sink for (say) one day would have to pay a five dollar fine. If the dishes remain there, raise the fine to twenty dollars. Think of it as a polluter’s tax.

Of course, we will need a structure to enforce the fine. This is where ‘bureaucratic’ mechanisms come in handy. In this way, one response would be the building manager drafting a constitution that outlines the rights and responsibilities of tenants, and establishing some sort of authority to enforce the rules. If there is no authority to enforce, then the rules are a waste of time.

One response that I have tried (and failed to make headway) would fall under the broad heading of ‘community’. That is, I have tried to engender a sense of shame or guilt for leaving the kitchenette in such a state. Suffice to say that the IT crowd don’t appear to share the same sort of embarrassment or remorse as I would if I left the area in a similar state. Tut-tutting or a mournful shake of the head at the mess does not seem to have any effect.

Inevitably, most logical solutions will feature all three models. Tariffs on bad behaviour will not work without a culture that recognises the behaviour as such. Similarly, without some mechanism to enforce these sorts of tariffs, individuals and groups will continue their poor conduct.

If we somehow manage to find a solution, there will inevitably be new, unforeseen problems, let alone the expected issues that will emerge over free riding.

Lecture over, but if anyone has a solution to this particular problem, let me know, the stench is overwhelming!

Comments

The D in D & T said…
this reminds me of every place i've ever worked. now, when i go for an interview, i always ask for a glass of water, and if the glass has dirt permanently ingrained at the bottom, i know what i am in for. it's truly disgusting, and what's worse is that there seems to be no solution.

your explanation made me laugh though - great analogy :)
Sue said…
This, too, reminds me of the staff room at my school. Unfortunately, it seems to always be a case of..."I didn't do it so I ain't cleaning it." And it is always extremely hard to catch the offenders while they are offending as they are very good at hiding it. Plus, I am always surprised at how many people claim to be the ones who clean the mess...if this was indeed true, then we would be dining in the most hygienic place on earth (which is definitely NOT the case!).
I will continue to read the comments here to see if someone has the answer...but I doubt it.
EG CameraGirl said…
Oh dear, Kris! I too have worked in such places. Truly, there are people who just don't care that others do more than their share of the work. Sad but true.
fairest blonde said…
completely unrelated:
I was clicking through my interests to find other blogs that I may enjoy, and I came across yours. While surveying your interests, I noticed that you list Kinky Friedman. What exactly has gotten around the world about this Texan??

cheers
Kris McCracken said…
Fairestblonde, I came across Kinky through his detective novels. However, I've since picked up a few of his records and paid a bit of attention to his tilt at the Governorship.

I must admit, what I like best are his quips. He's very quick on the draw is Kinky.

He has done a few chat shows here in Australia, and has toured every five or so years.
fairest blonde said…
so interesting!! I do agree--Kinky is King of the Quip. I especially liked his "action figure" which had a collection of his finest.
All in all, though, I believe that his gubernatorial campaign slogan was the best--"Why the hell not?"
magiceye said…
:) tough luck! free riders are here to stay!
Anonymous said…
An interesting post.

Patty and I will be celebrating 53 years of marriage on July 12th. Think of it as a long-term relationship.

I have invited bloggers to offer suggestions on a gift for me to give Patty and the list would not be complete without your ideas.

Abraham Lincoln
Brookville Daily Photo
. said…
Hmmmmm,
Such a predicament... Either return the dirty dishes to each of their personal spaces. IT folks are inherently personal about the layout and contents of the cubicle.

Or rope off the area with caution tape and a Notice to Patrons sign that the glasses and silverware were recalled do to West Nile Chicken Flu SARS virus :) You could even bring in people in garbage bag outfits testing for venereal disease remnants.

I admit, being in the military with a bunch of nasty guys has given me the ability to be very imaginative :) :) :)
Louis la Vache said…
Kris, this is a very appropriate allegory to describe the free riders the world over.....

The late Theologian/Sociologist Reinhold Neibuhr described a situation he experienced in southeast Asia during World War II where refugees from the Japanese onslaught found themselves together in a safe haven and how territorial the earlier refugees became in relation to newer arrivals. Instead of welcoming them and readily giving up a bit of space for the newer arrivals, the older group was very jealous of the space they already had and only yielded a bit of it by force.

Meanwhile, over at San Francisco Bay Daily Photo, "Louis" and his 'editor' Yell at each other both in the text and in the comments...
I used to be a director's board for a state fair. We had a huge trash issue in that people would just throw food wrappings, uneaten food, cigarette butts, cups, on the ground. We bought more trash cans to place about the fairgrounds. And still, trash on the ground. Then we took what we I call the Disneyland approach. We hired an army of trash-picker-uppers and....the fair grounds became neat and tidy and lots of comments from people (probably those who threw their trash on the ground) that it looked so nice. Solution: accept that people won't clean up after themselves and charge them more up front so you can hire someone to clean up after them.
Anonymous said…
Wow, that is an almost scientific approach to an every-day-problem that - you are right - exists all over the world. I experienced the same with some colleagues, using the kitchenette but not doing the washing-up.

What to do about it? As with children you could take a big box and put the dirty stuff in (natural consequences ...) or: print this photo for them ;-))
Anonymous said…
I prefer the carry in carry out approach.

Remove all the dishes and cups from the area. Everyone brings their own. If it is in the sink at the end of the day it goes in the trash.

Tough love but I bet it will work.
Anonymous said…
In our kitchenette my colleague found leaving anonymous sarcastic passive-aggressive notes pinned to the wall worked quite well for a few days (of the "you'd think a group of people undertaking postgraduate study would be capable of cleaning the microwave before the next person uses it. Mind you, maybe not, seeing as turning the light out when leaving the room seems to be beyond everyone" variety). They then start to garner equally sarcastic passive-aggressive grafitti-d ripostes which, whilst not improving the state of the microwave do at least give us a laugh.
Nathalie H.D. said…
May I suggest another way out of it: having an office cleaner do the dishes every night. There's an economic cost to it but it works. I guess it teaches that the lesson is you can buy your way out of anti-social behaviour, which in many cases is unfortunately true.

Having said that, I think arlenestarr's option is the best by far. I would try it!
sam said…
hehe, great disertation! Have you come across a really hilarious website called passive aggressive notes? http://www.passiveaggressivenotes.com/
One solution to this eternal problem seems to be leaving sarky, sometimes abusive notes to the offenders. These sometimes escalate into wars of words that are hilarious to read, but probably do little to resolve the problem at hand..... A solution might be to regularly gather up all the smelly items and dump them in a cardboard box in the doorway to the office of the offenders, thus making it their problem, and not that of the others forced to share the kitchen. (The rest of you would each need to have your own coffee mug, glass etc, as the communal ones would be out of commission for a while until the IT guys got the message)
sam said…
try this...
http://www.passiveaggressivenotes.com/2008/06/18/three-things-your-health-teacher-didnt-tell-you-about-herpes/
I haven't visited this site for a while, but after telling you about it I went browsing... hehe
Neva said…
Obviously ....a world wide problem---freeloaders....and I find it hilarious what sue said because at my work....it is the almost empty coffee pot that EVERYONE says they always refill....and I reiterate....if that was the case....the coffee pot would never be empty enough to burn and crack--as it does frequently....and we are paying for each and every coffee pot by the small raise we get every year....so...no solution but I love the "pack'em up and leave'em at their door" thought. or maybe an email to IT people who really read all their email? too funny....I love your insightfulness......and you must have a great time teaching. I imagine you are a very interesting teacher to have.... your students are very lucky!
Kris McCracken said…
Crikey, I have missed a lot of comments here! Let me think about it…

Magiceye, I think that you’re right!

Abe, congrats on the anniversary. My marriage one is a paltry three years, but if we count the relationship one, we’re heading on eight! Watch out, we’re aiming for a hundred!

Misawa Mama, I think that imagination could well be the key to finding an answer!
Kris McCracken said…
Louis, Neibuhr is well worth a read on that. It is also analogous to some of the ‘boat people’ (both Greek and Yugoslav refugees from the 1950s, and Vietnamese, Laotion and Cambodian refugees later) who have become sources of income for some of the most strident anti-immigration politicians in Oz!

Boise Diva, that’s often the easiest solution!

April, the photo worked for about two weeks, but it’s back to horrible again!

Arlenestarr, hard-line, but probably effective!
Kris McCracken said…
Jackie, we do have a Vietnam veteran in our office, who did speak to the messiest lot. Again, it worked briefly, but they soon stopped cleaning up. I never tried the notes, just the blog post!

Nathalie, the office cleaner doesn’t seem able to vacuum, so I doubt they’d very good at dishes!

Sam, that site brings back bad memories of house sharing! I personally do use my own mug (Essendon Football Club, of course), and a glass, and keep them on my desk with a couple of spoons. Thus, I can say “not my problem”, which is not ideal, I will admit.
Kris McCracken said…
Neva, I know that one too. EVERYBODY washes up. NOBODY messes the dishes. As my mother used to say to us, “it must have been the fairies!”

As for the students, well, they’ve missed out this year. First time in eight years I haven’t done any teaching at the Uni! That’s why I’m carping on at the blog I guess. ;)

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut