Skip to main content

It's been a hard day's night, I should be sleeping like a log




It appears to me that the terrible twos have appeared early in this household. This realisation, coupled with the reality that I was unsuccessful in getting more than thirty minutes consecutive sleep last night, Henry and I shrewdly decided to go on a LONG walk. Although it would be hard work on my tired, aching bones, it would put us in the position where we would be unable to murder each other without prompt arrest. A strategic course of action, I feel.

The thing that garnered most interest from the odd couple along the way was a decent-sized ship pulling up on the other side of the river. Upon return and with the aid of Google, we found out that the ship is called British Liberty, it is listed as a “Chemical/Oil Products Tanker”, or to be more precise, a “Liquid Tanker”. Indian sailors primarily operate it, and its call sign is “MFLM9”. The marvels of the Internet also means that its every movement can be tracked at sailwx.info. Very nice!

We decided to take the scenic route along the Derwent River (Eastern Shore side) from Geilston Bay to Lindisfarne Bay, to see what the ducks that frequent those haunts think of the terrorising toddler.

Here is Henry harassing some Geilston Bay ducks on Monday. Note the fetching bulge of the cloth nappy!

We also saw quite a few of what I am reasonably confident are Kelp Gulls (Larus dominicanus). If anyone out there reads this is of the bird fancying persuasion, please feel free to confirm or correct my assumption. I see these guys all the time, but am never sure of what they are.

Comments

smudgeon said…
You're right there, Mr. McCracken - them's kelp gulls. And a shiny penny for any clever lad who can tell them apart from the extremely similar native pacific gull (L. pacificus).
freefalling said…
More often than not, I am drawn to your words before your images (sorry, that's not meant to sound like a back-handed compliment),
but...
your first photo here, is an absolute bewdie!
Julie said…
Yep ... totally agree ... the fog is a ripper ...
Anonymous said…
I don't know the difference but the photos are nice to see.

Abraham Lincoln
—Brookville Daily Photo
Yes, well, Henry has got to put up a fight for attention now, and it looks as if he's been successful. He probably enjoyed that walk.
Fun pictures! For sure! And good words, too! :-D

I will will have to go back and read some becasue I apparently missed an event in my absence!
The top photo of the tanker/cloud/mountain is a winner.
Dina said…
Wowee! That picture! I love everything in it.
And the one of Henry ain't bad either. Just kidding! He is brave to walk among those tall birds.
Hang in there, Kris.
Susannah said…
Lovely photo of the Bridgewater Jerry (ok, so only the locals will know the name of this particular variety of river mist). It was a nice drive down from sunny Fern Tree, with a view of the city shrouded in very cold air. Those more meterologically savvy can probably explain the temperature inversion.....
Kris McCracken said…
We were lucky to arrive in time for a nicely framed photograph. I must get down there for a sunset some time!
stromsjo said…
Nice shot, I certainly wouldn't be able to snap anything after that kind of a fragmented night's sleep.

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut