Skip to main content

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried


As Chrissie Hynde sang in 1982, back on the chain gang for me today. And wouldn’t you know it, more meetings. Seven-point-six hours in a day and already three vanished in bloody meetings. One has to smile. Throw in catching up on correspondence and pleasantries, and can understand why I am pressed for time.

Of course, I have not let this prevent me from getting a big ol’ bunch o’ snapshots this morning on the way in. Thankfully, it was a crisp but clear winter morn, rather than an overcast beginning to the day. The light, it must be said, was tremendous.

But I want, for a moment, to comment on other matters. Despite making little effort of either keep an eye on or steer clear of them, I am already mightily sick of these blasted Olympics.

It is the media you see, as usual they are starting to get my goat, and he doesn’t like it one bit.

You see, Australian ‘journalists’ (as a pack) can be an infuriating bunch. When we’re doing well, it is all “GOLD! GOLD! GOLD! By Christ We Aussies Are Tops!” When others (the poms in particular) are doing slightly better, whaddaya know, sometimes silver is better than gold. Yeah, it’s suddenly about big hearts, big efforts and beautiful, bounding, bouncing babes (come on, do you really think Stephanie Rice is that interesting?!?)

Just a bit of free form thinking here, but maybe the thing that has ruined it for me is how the Australian Institute of Sport in set about churning out dozens of elite athletes across the disciplines, but somewhere along the way ensures that each and every one of them is completely and utterly sterile and devoid of any personality. You see, they are just so profoundly dull.

Oh yes, they each wave their little flag with a bit of a wink and a giggle that suggests naughtiness, but even that looks coached. You can’t help but feel that anyone with a bit of go in them, with a bit of flair or (heaven forbid) character was screened out long ago by some faceless apparatchik of the automaton factory up there in Canberra. As my teachers used to say to me: “nobody likes a smartarse”. Weet-bix don’t want a threat to the brand on the box, they want a big smile, nice abs and bronzed arms.

You want character? The Beijing 2008 notion of ‘character’ doe s not extend beyond wheeling out Laurie f@$&*#g Lawrence with a poem about ‘Aussie Grit’ or ‘the Larrikin Aussie spirit’. Quite Laurie, nothing says ‘larrikin’ like rhyming couplets!

Let’s face it; the Australian Olympic committee don’t want characters. The current crop is reminiscent of the interminable gangs of Big Brother contestants: young, fit, toned and easy on the eye, but not a whole lot going on underneath. It’s battle of the bland here. Ho hum, what else can be expected of the hot-housing of kiddies from age ten that professional sport has become these days?

Where are the fatties? The moustached blokes in headbands? The angry lesbians? Where are the blokes chucking their silver medel in the river because being the first loser is just not good enough?

Bloody Olympics.

Comments

blackie said…
the splendid sight of bare branches against a clear sky almost makes winter worthwhile.

i haven't watched a second of the olympics, sounds like i'm not missing anything.

thanks for your answers. i can sleep easy now. Well, I would if I wasn't sharing the bed with a human convector heater that sounds like it's blowing up a lilo.
freefalling said…
I wondered how long it would be before you could hold it in no longer.
Anonymous said…
I'm really enjoying the Olympics. We seem to only have occasional references to the fact that we're beating the Aussies in the medal tables, mostly it's just a mild British surprise that we've already beaten our target.
Tassiegal said…
I have watched some of the Olympics, but Hate the fact all we seem to compete in (according to seven) is swimming, some athletics, rowing and basketball.
What about the archers? the sailors? the fencers? They only get a look in if it looks like we will get a medal....GAH!
Miles McClagan said…
I obviously haven't sold you on Sally Queen Of The Games, so what about colourful Norwegian handballer Gro Hammerseng? She likes protesting, she's dating her team mate, and she took 8 hours of legal advice on how to fight Chinese human abuses without getting thrown out the country - in fairness, summat you can't imagine Tamsyn Lewis doing!
Anonymous said…
grump
 gmirage said…
Lol, is that better then to try? =D

Love this composition! And it does remind me its winter on your part of the world! =)
USelaine said…
Just remember, Australians are famously good looking. What more is there?
Julie said…
Give 'em one for me, Kid.

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut