Skip to main content

Now and in time to be, Wherever green is worn, Are changed, changed utterly: A terrible beauty is born.


I cringe whenever I hear war employed as analogous to sport, so I apologise in advance for this post. You see, I appreciate very clearly the temptation to employ what we think we know of war (understanding that thinking that we know something about something is very different to knowing about something). So, please forgive me for clutching at the metaphor. In my defence I offer my own well worn tale of child-induced weariness.

The cumulative effects of a new baby with still-confused patterns of sleep, and an older prime physical specimen who has appeared to have prematurely entered that phase famously called the “terrible twos”, have wrought a grave toll on my nerves. I feel for my health.

Even without concerns about the security of my manhole, it is safe to say that both mind and body are struggling at the moment. I have endeavoured to keep the intake of fresh fruit and veg up, and the reliance on caffeine down, yet the constant interrupted sleep is inevitably taking its toll.

While I was at work (at a very important meeting, upon which I shall expand tomorrow) Jen, Hen and Ez met up with Alice from the West today, and took some sea air along the Bellerive promenade. I was heartened to hear that the stroll did something to improve the imperious infant's temper. Perhaps it may also help knock the spritely newborn's understanding of day and night into shape. At the very least, I was relieved to hear that Henry did not dump Alice into the drink. I doubt very much that she has had the time required to adjust properly to Tasmania's frigid winter waters, being more used to dodging the sharks on Perth's warmer beaches.

But I digress, I was talking toddlers. The older infant strikes me as existing on a plane somewhere between classically-understood bi-polar disorder (manic depression, for our older readers) and a charming – but ultimately ill mannered – drunkard. One moment they are the life of the party, the most amiable, charismatic and generous-natured chap that one might ever hope to meet. The next, they have spilled their drink, thrown a chair at you, spat food on the new carpet, kicked you in the shin, soiled their pants and are curled in the foetal position on the floor, wailing about how all the inequities of the world are loaded against them (and only them).

The stereotypical image of familial bliss most commonly found in baby powder commercials this most certainly is not. Think more a mobile triage unit located on the Somme in 1916, and you might be getting closer to the mark.

Yet, as in war, often the most heart-warming examples of the human spirit can be found in horrors like this. It can be seen in Ezra’s sweet little smile (so what if he is only doing a poo, it's still real to me, damn it). It exists in Henry’s kind offer of a kiss and a hug (even as I nurse the black eye from that kick to the head at breakfast). It is no clearer than in Jennifer’s stern command that she will take sole sentry duty, ordering me off to the spare room at three in the morning because I have not slept a wink all night. In these moments, beauty is magnified ten-fold. Just as in the work of Paul Nash, there is a kind of terrible, but moreover beautiful exquisiteness that can only be appreciated because of the brutal exertion that has preceded it.

Comments

In our house, the terrible twos lasted well until the end of age three....and sometimes still peek out of the six year old personality. Dig in the trenches!
Anonymous said…
I hear you...
FRances said…
Trust me it will get better Remmember krispy tou have a brother jason.
Squirrel said…
It will get better, but seems like you understand it, anyway. thanks for the intro to Paul Nash.
freefalling said…
"a terrible beauty is born"
had me thinking for days now.

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral