Skip to main content

We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way.


Back at work today, so need to sharpen the spirits and post a picture of Ezra today. Here is the littlest bloke in the household demonstrating some fine neck control. There is something extraordinary in a baby who can lift up his whole head and look from side to side at birth, and Ezra could do that. He's clearly gifted!

Let me share just one of my frustrations at work today. I expect to present at an upcoming conference. I have prepared the abstract, have a title and so on, and just needed to enter the details onto the hosting organisation’s website. I am quite adequate at computer-related business, in fact, in my sector, I am regarded as something of a ‘computer whizz’ (bearing in mind that being able to appropriately shut down a computer probably qualifies you to that title here).

So all that I (think) that I need to do is enter the info. Twenty minutes of Name, Job Title blah blah blah through a bunch of slow loading pages (and we have a pretty impressive connection here at work) I am told “Thank you for uploading your abstract”.

Ah, but I haven’t uploaded my abstract.

Click ‘Back’ ‘Back’ ‘Back’ and at no point have I been offered the opportunity to ‘upload’ my abstract.

Click on the ‘Guide to uploading your abstract’. A word document, Times New Roman, 12 pt font name, title blah blah blah.

It wants me to put pretty much everything that I’d just spent the last twenty minutes entering into a word document and THEN upload it? Hmmmm.

Oh wait, I have received an automated e-mail response. “Thank you for uploading your abstract. You will be notified if it has been accepted”.

But I haven’t f&*#@ng uploaded my abstract!!!

Oh look, the bottom of the e-mail says: “If you wish to edit your abstract if necessary, submit your Final Paper and register for the Conference at a later date do so via this site.”

Beautiful syntax there, but I can let it slide and just go to the site (a different address, mind you) and see what we can do.

Big and bold: SUBMIT ABSTRACT

Enter the code, yes... yes...

Waiting... waiting...

There’s the info that I’ve entered, and here’s a new button: “Upload abstract” “Word document blah blah blah”

So it wants the info twice? Okay, I can’t copy and paste. Bastard! So here I go, type it all out again, save the thing as a word document and click “Upload abstract”.

DONE!

Just to make sure, I think, let’s click “Check information”.

Click,

So the one page word document is now 86 pages of gobbledygook. Great. Stupid bastards didn’t say “Save as Word 1997-2003 Document”, but I bet that this is the problem.

Open it up, save it again as backwards compatible, and click on “Upload abstract”.

DONE!!!

Better make sure though! Click “Check information”.

Oh for F$#K’S SAKE!!! 123 pages of gobbledygook.

Bugger these morons, I’ll just upload the bastard as a .pdf (naive little angel on shoulder says “but it says ‘Word Document’”, I tell it “Shut the f#%k up, these people are clearly retarded”.)

Click “Save as pdf”, and click on “Upload abstract”.

Click “Check information”.

Now it works. Yes, you have the same information twice over, but there you go. Fifty minutes later I’ve done it.

Yes, indeed, I am looking forward to this conference.

Comments

Dina said…
Oh Kris, your boys are so sweet and getting sweeter all the time. I think unconsciously I "forget" lately to come to your blog because looking at Ezra and Henry increases the longing for my own two Aussie grandsons of similar ages. sigh...

But about your question. (I was wondering if anyone would think about such a query.) Our dig was accompanied by a rabbi from the dig-monitoring ultra-Orthodox Atra Kadisha. Like every day, every hour he was on site. Fortunately he was friendly enough and I learned some things from him. Unfortunately, I was not allowed to photograph him. Ours was a salvage dig, done before a tall building is built on the site. So better to remove the bones in an orderly and respectful way than to have the bulldozers and drills destroy them in the construction. Our cemetery was Canaanite and not Jewish, so the Atra Kadisha was not up in arms as they sometimes become.
The human bones we found will get a reburial at a safe place.
There's an artical here:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg15020325.900-forum--digging-away-at-the-foundations--bihaim-watzmanbi-explains-why-science-and-religion-in-israel-are-atodds.html

Yes, I imagine messing with Aboriginal remains would be quite a problem in today's Australia.
M. CHRISTOPHE said…
Hello Kris, thank you for coming on Chateau-Gontier daily photo and for your comment.
By the way I discover your charming blog.
I really appreciate your B&W pictures of your cute boy.
Fot your post today I just have a comment : welcome in the modern world.
Priyanka Khot said…
Now this is something I can relate to like no one else can. since morning LinkedIn is giving me a similar problem. Finally I was able to sort out the confusion after struggling for 20 minutes.

Ezra is adorable... unanimous vote from my office. :D

Thanks for the Henry pics. Mob pressure sure did get to you. :-)


and yup you can get the watches for even less if your bargaining skills are upto the mark.
Kris McCracken said…
Dina, they are two little rippers, that’s for sure. Both have a good set of lungs too!

I am sure that you’ll get to see your too soon enough. Eyal looks a cheeky one though (they’re always the best ones though, let’s be honest). He does look like this archaeologist that I know...

Thanks for answering that one for me. It’s a touchy one!

Château-Gontierdailyphoto, thanks for stopping by. The modern world really has made some things easier, no doubt, but sometimes the easiest things are made so complicated by sloppy work! Oh for the artisans of old!

Priyanka, bloody computers! Ezra is lovely, even when he yells. The mob is often right, especially when it comes to Henry!

Jen does all the bargaining in our household, she’s far better at getting a good deal than me.
smudgeon said…
Isn't contemporary technology a marvel? Particularly in the hands of such godlike intelligence...
Dina said…
Thanks Kris.
Poor carob, but poor chocolate-denied Jen. Oi, I'd die without chocolate.
BTW, I still owe you an answer on the religious boys' extreme haircut, but I have no one to ask.
Patience.
SH -ic said…
thanks for viiting my blog .. keep care .. and a little kiss for ypou cutie
marie6 said…
Your boys are adorable! Interesting blog and I really like the b&w photos!
Erik W. Laursen said…
My girl Anna could also raise her head and turn it at an early age. And yes, she too, is gifted. I suspect that someday she will live in a secret base at the center of a volcano. Her minions will run about in matching uniforms.
Ken Mac said…
love your banner! and your tude!
So, your explanation should qualify as a presentation in itself.
Kris McCracken said…
Me, the combination of cutting edge computing and overeducated monkeys is, quite frankly, terrifying.

Dina, that’s Jen’s position too. On a related note, I happened upon a Turkish family, where it appears part of their tradition is to shave the baby’s head bald at one week old. Such a thick head of hair too!

Picture to words, I will pass that on, and keep visiting Hamburg!

Marie6, they go all right. I’m getting back into the old black and white, it’s been years and I don’t have access to a darkroom, but I do have Photoshop!
Kris McCracken said…
Erik, I think that Henry and Ezra would like minions too. With the uniforms! :)

Ken mac, you can’t go past Schultz, or the ‘tude!

Boise Diva, I am thinking very much about changing my topic, to be honest. Either online registration systems, or PowerPoint presentations.

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut