Skip to main content

Idlers do not make history: they suffer it!



The no bill posters building that I featured yesterday also seems to be a favourite of the anti-New World Order crowd (remember them?) I quite like their stencil work (it’s better than the “dick” written on our fence), even if you get a little tired of being told how horrid Americans are (and, consequently, how horrid anyone is that might take issue with lumping 400 million-odd into one vile basket).

You see, there is something inherently offensive about people that are seemingly driven to lecture high-minded principles about the way one should or should not live (and indeed the way that one should or should not think; yet at the same time exhibit a kind of hypocrisy that is as extreme as their political and cultural viewpoints.

Of course, this tendency towards extremism does not limit itself to a particular set of pre-conditions (other than ideological certainty). I have seen it in libertarians and communists; Christians, Muslims and atheists; left and right. On one score, I can’t help but generalise. So, I do plead a certain forgiveness for a certain inability to overlook the fact that every single self-proclaimed "anarchist" that I have ever met has fulfilled the descriptor above.

Now, anarchism as a concept almost certainly lends itself to extremity, and I have outlined already that I am a social democrat, and am thus obliged to emphasise the positives of an interventionist state. Consequently, I can’t help but be at odds with anarchism as a concept.

But my personal beef with the self-styled anarchists that I've personally met is no doubt rooted in the fact that every single one that I've met was in receipt of some kind of government benefit. Certainly all of them benefited from state-funded higher education, by that, I mean if they were reliant on competitive scholarships, well, they'd probably be mopping floors of the uni rather than annoying other punters in the uni bar three sheets to the wind on tax-payer subsidised shandies.

Now I am sure that there is some logic in utilising the resources of the state in setting about destroying the state. It is what I would do. But you see, I'm a pragmatist. This, my anarchist colleagues tell me (over and over and over), renders me a "reactionary", and "ideologically unsound". Of course, these facets of my personality (and my character), have made me more than worthy of endless chastisement for my contribution to most (if not all), the ills in the world. Indeed, my list of crimes makes for very interesting reading, (I have truncated it for brevity):


  • The destruction of the environment;
  • The exploitation of children;
  • The subjection of women;
  • Global inequality;
  • The destruction of minority cultures;
  • The desecration of local identities and erosion of ‘community’;
  • The alienation of workers from the fruits of their labour;
  • The dumbing down of western culture;
  • The denial of true liberty;
  • Every war ever fought;
  • Every future war that may or may not be fought;
  • The disenchantment that is attendant to modernity and progress;
  • Neo-colonial resentment and anger;
  • The sexualisation of art;
  • The infantisation of the ego;
  • The commodification of human feelings;
  • Disempowering the agent; and
  • Elevating the agent to a point that denies concealed structural barriers.

Obviously, anyone still reading this are obliged to take the word of a baby whale killing, self-unaware emasculating misogynist who is so very, very tainted by every crime that humanity has unleashed upon itself with a grain of salt.

The intellectual incoherency is inherent in modern anarchism is its most frustrating aspect. It claims to ignore nations, borders and states and rest in a total world community, yet expresses itself in the most simplistic notion of “anti-globalisation” (anti-globalisation? You may as well be “anti-weather”). The notion that what is essentially a cult of the singular (the individual, or ”me”) will in some way inexorably lead to what is best for the whole (the community, or ”us”) seems problematic.

Well, who am I kidding? It’s my blog. It is more than problematic, it’s bloody stupid! It denies everything that I have seen and experienced of human nature. It denies historical experience. I don’t care how many get out clauses a totalising theory writes into itself, nobody likes some do-nothing bludger who constantly spouts rubbish telling them how to suck eggs.

I feel better now.

I am going to be showcasing a revolutionary new globally interactive Blog-cept tomorrow, so be careful not to miss that.


Comments

USelaine said…
This is about me, isn't it. Beg pardon. 6^)
stromsjo said…
We have a few of those as well but they tend to grow up. I find it a bit touching really, living on a monthly paycheck from the same state one is vigorously fighting.
Miles McClagan said…
This just reminded me of the great whistle protest of 97 - when a girl at our uni organised everyone to blow a whistle at 12pm to protest against the supression of male heirarchical figures (or summat).

80% of the whistles ended up being stolen and used at raves...
Julie said…
The word shandy is ... noice.
Anonymous said…
OK. THoughtful indeed.
Hmm, thoughtful. Lotta good stuff here.

I'm American and I just want to state that I did NOT vote for George Bush and I think what he's doing is deplorable.

But one person's voice is not very loud. I consider myself an environmentalist (and even went to stumpy school) and a social activist, though I have slowed down somewhat, but my actions and words do not seem to have influenced the status quo.

I'm not perfect (who is?), but I try to do right and be good. So do many other Americans. We're human, just like anyone else.

I guess I am feeling a little defensive toward the American haters becasue I don't like being lumped in with the bad actions of someone I don't support and never did.
PS: Thanks, Kris, I looked all over for soemthing like that and couldn't find it. I printed it out to study more closely. Mary :-D
Marie Reed said…
I'm glad that you got that rant out! Phew! I will check in tomorrow:)
Marie Reed said…
Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.
- Charles M. Schulz
Kris McCracken said…
USelaine, I did have a couple of people in mind when I wrote that post, but I can assure you that none of them was you! :)

You should hear me go off about middle class Buddists! Another day, perhaps...

Per, most of ours grow up to. It is an odd contradiction.

Miles, I vaguely remember that. Was it GST? Waterfront reform? University fees? VSU? They all blend into one after a while.
Kris McCracken said…
Julie, I’ve never had a shandy, and the anarchists didn’t really drink them (boring old beer, usually), but I liked the sound of it too.

Abe, I do try. ;)

Jim, I needed to vent.
Kris McCracken said…
Mary, I’ve never understood the generalities about “Americans”, it’s an incredibly diverse country. It’s like how people say “Americans don’t understand irony”, err, Seinfeld, The Simpsons, George Carlin, South Park; seems to me that there are plenty of them that get it pretty well! Maybe the anti-everything crown “get it” less.

Marie Reed, it was going to kill me if I kept it in any longer.

Regarding Schulz: does that mean I’m in the future? The past? Dead already but unaware?

I’m freaking out here!

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut