Skip to main content

Question of the day #4: The silver screen

A child of my time, throughout my life I have on occasion taken to imagining my daily humdrum existence in cinematic terms. I’d think about lighting, angles, character arcs and plot development. This was no more prevalent than in those blissful days of University. Not very healthy, perhps, but it managed to pass the time when all one had to do was drift into university, crap on a bit, and then back home for an extended session of Syphon Filter 2 on the Playstation with a glass of cider set to one side and a jazz cigarette at the ready.

In those heady days of youth (well, early-twenties), life was terribly easy: lots of reading; writing the odd poem or bit of prose; waxing lyrical on the subject of political theory and historical understanding a few hours a day; exceptional [if I do say so myself] marks and – most importantly – scholarship money.

Of course, this lifestyle afforded moments of deeply serious reflection amongst a select group of esteemed colleagues, very few of them anarchists (no shortage of nihilists, however). This reflection often entailed formulating and considering complex and drawn-out moral quandaries that frequently involved obscene acts with obscene people for obscene dollars. Another petit amusement and (more aligned with my actual point with this post), casting the movie that could be made of that specific place and time. The general consensus at the time appeared to support the casting of one of Robert Downey Jr, Hugh Grant and (cruelly) Ben Affleck in the role of Mr McCracken. Of course, I dismissed these out of hand as completely unacceptable. For one, they are all far too short, and lack the required gravitas to pull me off.

Thus, we (finally) find ourselves at today’s question!
If you were a character in a motion picture – and it does not matter if you are the central character, comic relief or merely a fleeting extra – who do you feel would be most appropriate to be cast in your role?

Now I don’t mean “who looks like you?” (although it could be that), but which actor – alive or dead – do you think might best capture the very essence of you?



[Please don’t forget that I am still open for answers on previous questions. If you haven’t revealed your favourite accent, or thought about your ideal gang name, or if you are unsure of your opinions of all things vexillology, you still have time.]

Comments

Kris McCracken said…
If pushed, I’d draft in Martin Donovan circa early-1990s. Hopefully he could pull of the accent, and he’d have no troubles height/floppy hair-wise.
Anonymous said…
Rocky from Moonstruck. Not the actor who played Rocky, but Rocky the character playing Hallam the real person.
JuJu Mountain said…
sorry from the movie 'Mask'.
Kris McCracken said…
Rocky Dennis (Eric Stoltz)?

An interesting choice...
USelaine said…
I auditioned others I thought I wanted (Ingrid Bergman, Reta Shaw, Fiona Shaw, Helen Hunt, Linda Hunt, Maureen O'Hara, Janel Moloney, and Loretta Young), but the only one that could almost combine all of them is Kathy Bates.
Sue said…
Oooh...this was hard...Zac and I put our heads together and came up with a couple of actors who may suffice. Of course..if my choice of Angelina Jolie was unavailable... Zac suggested Whoopi Goldberg! Though I am unsure that people would believe that one...I've never had dreads! He did suggest Susan Sarandon and I would be happy with her...especially if I could share Tim with her! Maybe Bette Davis (in 'Whatever Happened to Baby Jane')...I am tending to resemble her more each day and the children say I have a lot of her behaviours also!?!?? Whatever THAT means! heh heh
USelaine said…
Dammit, I left out Emma Thompson and Juliette Binoche.
blackie said…
Juliet Binoche. Every time my mum sees a movie with her in it she comes out and says "She's you!". I'm not going to argue, the woman is one sultry fox.

Stan says it should be Sandra Bullock or the girl that played Caitlin on Degrassi. Not as impressive, but probably more accurate.
Miles McClagan said…
Don't know - Kim Wilde is playing my Mum though...

Perhaps a gender bending Oscar winning female plays a male performance from Kelly Ripa?
Saretta said…
Give me Nicole Kidman!!! I think she could handle being me ;-)
Anonymous said…
I'm struggling here, but I think I might go for Emma Thompson too.

Either that or Celia Johnson (Brief Encounter).
smudgeon said…
Perhaps Alan Rickman. Perhaps in much younger days. Perhaps.

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut