Skip to main content

People should be very free with sex, but they should draw the line at goats.


I’m not sure why, but I quite like this photograph. I like the colour. . I like the dabs of yellow in all that blue and grey. I like the contrasting depth of the stones versus the flat of the concrete. I like the fact that there is an apparently healthy tree jutting out of the footpath. I like that in this one, I managed to avoid photographing my shoes.

Of course, I inevitably drew funny looks from all of the Hydro workers hurrying into work as I slouched outside their building taking photo after photo of a footpath. They were probably ruing the plight of the mentally ill in the community as they trundled past, embarrassed that this odd fellows behaviour made them think of something as dreary as mental illness.

But I will say, the pressure of this whole daily photo thing has done wonders for my confidence to just whip out the camera and take a snap when something appears and takes my fancy. That said, I have a profound timidity to do so if it involves people (or at least people who might notice what I’m doing). I’m not sure if this is down to anti-terror laws, fear of being branded a dirty old man (some greys hairs now) or just plain not wanting to upset someone; but I am apparently unable to take photos of strangers.

Maybe I’ll force myself to half a crack at it at the bus stop this afternoon after I knock off.

Just not the dudes with swastikas tattooed on their necks.

Comments

USelaine said…
I sometimes take shots that clearly aren't being pointed at their heads, and folks seem less worried about that. But public places are public. I don't know what the legal restrictions are for you there. Got any nice holiday parades coming up? No one should mind that. Might break the ice. Ah, I dunno. I blather.
Anonymous said…
I feel the same - I don't mind taking pics in public where people happen to be (shopping street, park, that sort of thing), but I very rarely aim at specific people because I quite like the fact that I have all my own teeth and I'd like to keep them a bit longer. Yesterday's pic was different - I figured if someone is standing in public with a fake animal head on top of his head, he's fair game for a picture.

I like the stones in this picture - gorgeous colours.
Priyanka Khot said…
I liked this photo too for all the reasons you mentioned.

I like taking photos of strangers... if they notice me I start talking to them and thus I know that next time I go to a market, I will have one hawker smiling at me. :-)
NYD said…
I have no problem taking pictures of people, (I am just not very good at it) but sometimes when I try to take snapshots inside a building the paranoid security folks stop me.

The terrorists have done exactly what they hoped to do.
yournotalone said…
If it is not a mass photo i always ask for permission before making photos of individuals because of possible legal consequences:)

Nice texture by the way.
blackie said…
I like it toom I am very drawn to the cubey cobblestones. I think a blown-up, zoomed-in version of them'd look aces.
Dina said…
I'm with you all the way. Agree with every word here.
Kris McCracken said…
USelaine, I might have to wait until X-mas parade.

Jackie, I think that I could photograph a show off, but still struggle with crowds even!

Priyanka, I think that Indians are by nature less defensive about personal space than Australians (in a good way). I might be wrong though...
Kris McCracken said…
NYD, bloody terrorists! Always up to no good!

Aigars, then you have to TALK to them! ;)

Blackie, I’ll give it a burl and see how it sticks.

Dina, peas in a pod!

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut