Skip to main content

All who curse father or mother shall be put to death; having cursed father or mother, their blood is upon them.


Check out the hands on this lad. He's going to be a biggun, make no bones about that! Ezra, unlike his brother, has been in fine form all week. The less said about Henry, the better. Two year olds really can be quite frustrating. That said, I've pulled out a wise bit of Leviticus (20/9), to keep both of my sons on their toes!

After having my thunder stolen by the comments thread, I've had to revise today's post. Yes, I say "Itsy Bitsy Spider", and Jennifer says "Insy Wincy Spider". My personal reading of it, and Hallam's research seems to confirm it, is that somewhere along the way, the Poms decided that they didn't like the sound of the original American "Itsy Bitsy" and went down the "Eeensy Weensy" route. Australians, being Australians, had six o' one, half dozen o' the other and had a bob each way, running with both "Itsy" and mutating "Eensy" into "Insy".

A quick fiddle with Google seems to support this interpretation of the odd transmogrification of the Sisyphean-like tale. A closed search of "Itsy Bitsy Spider" returns 469,000 pages. "Incy Winsy OR Wincy Spider" gives me 81,000 pages. Hallam's favourite, "Eensy Weensy Spider", garners 48,400 pages. On the face of it, an embarrassingly convincing blow to the aspirations of the "Incy/Eeensy" brigade.

My personal belief is that the shadow of the ABC TV's Play School looms large over most of the comments, and has brainwashed poor Australians into getting it wrong, in much the same way as they do with regards to the "Hokey Cokey" (ignorantly mistaking it for the far more common, and far less profound "Hokey Pokey).

So, whatever the mob say, I'm prepared to call it a win for myself anyway, with the earliest published reference to said spider calling him "Itsy Bitsy", and siding with my American friends on this one against the upstart Australians. Just because Noni or John said "Incy" doesn't make it right. In the same way as the word "maroon" should never, ever be pronounced with the stress on anything but the "ooooon", I'm not going to concede on this one. Would anyone who knows me accept any different anyway?

As to the other question yesterday, I can't possibly comment of whether Miles' fat former flatmate has got their grubby hands on the gear. What I can say is that the list of goods are all things that been broken by one Henry Fitzgerald McCracken in the time that I have known him. Yes, a man of expensive tastes in what he chooses to destroy, Henry is firmly in the bad books. Not even brutally smashing an old desk telephone over the unprotected head of the playgroup bully (three times!) in a manner reminiscent of Charles Bronson in the Death Wish films can get him can get him out of the doghouse. That may only happen when I finally get the PC to boot up past the blue screen of death.

Comments

USelaine said…
Hokey Cokey?! What, have you got some cocaine infused dance party going on down there!?! And poor quality cocaine at that?!

Kris, I don't know if I can take too many more of these revelations about the Antipodes.
Anonymous said…
It's a good thing for Jen, Henry and Ezra's sake that you're never, ever wrong.

I like how you are running with originality as a claim to being right rather than what is culturally the norm in the country in which poor little Hen and Ez live. As a consolation for Jen though, at least she always has your wise ear for counsel whever she 'needs' it. What a resource!
blackie said…
Itsy Bitsy? Puh-lease! It is not a song about a Deep South-dwelling, po-boy eating, handbag puppy. C'mon, it is bloody Incey Wincey and you know it. I'm with Jen on this one. And I say all that as a true-blue Playschool brainwashed Aussie.
Sue said…
I just reckon that it is hilarious that with all the troubles in the world and all that happens at home maintaining it and bringing up two babies...especially when one is such a vandal....that you and your beloved bride do battle over the name of a spider!! Glorious! May all your disagreements always be this monumental!!!
Anonymous said…
Noni and John are ALWAYS right. Wash your mouth out...or your hands
 gmirage said…
Hubby and I gets into 'bouts' like this lol. I dont remember Itsy Bitsy lol. I am not going to talk about my 2 year old like you do lol.
Anonymous said…
I'm a bit late to the Debating Chamber, but just to add my 2p, in the UK it is definitely "Incey Wincey" and the "Hokey Cokey".
Sorry to hear that Henry is in a true 2 phase...because 3 and 4 can be much worse, and at this point, you're probably wondering how that could be...but it can be...it can!

We always sang Itsy Bitsy Spider in "verses" with variations like teensy weensy, inchy winchy, leggy weggy whatever we made up in baby talk - so it all works.
USelaine said…
I'm glad we can still toss out that whole notion of "civil discourse" hoo-hah when necessary.

You people across the oceans are just so wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Make up your own songs and dances, why doncha.

"Marching Matilda, MAR-CHING Matil-da, you'll come-a marching Matilda with me..."
Kris McCracken said…
USelaine, that’s the proud English way. Before the word changed its meaning, I might have said that we’re are a queer mob down here.

Hallam, I am glad that you’ve come to that realisation Hallam. It is just a shame that it took so long! Jen is indeed a lucky woman.

Blackie, the effects of propaganda can be a terrible thing to behold.
Kris McCracken said…
Sue, it’s the little things in life that matter.

Tania, Noni was in the wrong when she turfed John Jarrett out of the family home and shacked up with a much younger fellow.

Mirage2g, Henry is a very special little man.
Kris McCracken said…
Jackie, I’m backing the mother country on the Cokey, but dissenting on the spider, as is my right as an Australian citizen!

Boise Diva, don’t tell me that!

Don’t tell anyone, but I change the words to these things all the time.

USelaine, that’s the spirit!

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut