Skip to main content

If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people in the world?


Sometimes when you have small children, you can go a little mad. Small children - sweet as they are - can get so annoying that you'd be forgiven for wishing that you had a long break from them.

A teething baby, however cute and regardless of how much he smiles, still has a tendency to wake up every hour-and-a-half. You know, that starts to get to you after a while. That said, you can be very forgiving of a baby. A baby is just a baby. A toddler, on the other hand...

Well, a toddler is a toddler. A toddler can be a quite engaging chap. A toddler - a bright one, anyway - can put together simple sentences. A toddler can answer questions. A toddler can get out some play dough, bring it across to you and plead, "Daddy make little balls please".

That might not impress you, but when said child didn't say much more than shouting "MORE!" at you for months on end, I guarantee that you'd find it extraordinary too.

Yet at the same time, this little person will refuse to tell you when he has soiled his pants, despite
a) him knowing full well what soiling one's pants means; and

b) producing such a god-awful stench from the trouser department that any denial is rendered superfluous.


The actual scenario does not worry me too much. I understand not wanting to admit that you have crapped in your pants again. I would imagine that it is a difficult thing to share with somebody. What I don't understand, and what I find most frustrating, is why this embarrassment translates into a supreme difficulty in getting that nappy off, wiping away the offensive substance, and then getting a fresh one on.

The best way that I can explain what exquisite torture changing Henry's nappy is at the moment is by sharing the fact that one looks forward to the trip to the laundry to scrub human faeces off the nappy to prepare it for soaking. At least the shit does not wriggle while you are scrubbing at it.

Then there are the tantrums, the constant destruction, the picky eating, the sticky fingers, the hidden caches of food, the contradictory impulses, the mixed messages, the common assaults, the cruel emotional judgements; life with a toddler can be like life with a bi-polar, menopausal invalid with learning difficulties.

With this in mind, you'd be forgiven for thinking that a time away from the gruesome twosome would be a blissful respite from the tempest that home life tends to be at the moment.

But oddly it isn't. All you can do is think about Henry's sad little eyes as you waved goodbye to him, Ezra's tired face as you stepped out to the plane and the lovely Jennifer, who be left alone to manage two very strong-willed future superstars while I have to be in a place as abominable as Sydney.

Who would believe me when I say that the absence of the pugnacious pair would result in a hole in the heart (that goes all the way the Chinatown)?

Comments

blackie said…
i often find myself wishing the goblins would take her away (a la jennifer connelly in the labyrinth). especially after the fourth poo-in-the-bath for the week....that won't go down the plughole.
Sue said…
Aaaahh...Mother Nature is a wonderful thing...just enough time apart from them or time when they are asleep... to make you love them all over again...thus stopping you from killing them! I think it truly is a wondrous thing that we can love so fully... yet want to yell and scream at the same time from frustration and dislike. Even now...when my two are so grown....they can drive me to the edge of despair and yet I would die for them in the blink of an eye!
Hope you don't miss them too much and always keep in mind that all things come to pass!
Kitty said…
hm....
I have to wonder why people have kids sometimes. I tend to see the negative rather than the positive when it comes to the little buggers.

bless you parents for having kids though, and bringing them up well!
Kris McCracken said…
Kiwi, it does sometimes appeal.

Blackie, Henry poo'd (sp?) in the bath once with Jen. A floating toxic yellow beast. How we (I) laughed...

Sue, it's horrid, isn't it?

Kitty, don't worry, sometimes I wonder the very same thing...

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary