Skip to main content

The language of friendship is not words but meanings.


Here is a photo of a sunrise behind a few yachts safely moored in the harbour. A pleasant, serene image to start the week.

Some time ago (September 22, to be exact), I launched an all new whizz bang revolutionary new globally interactive Blog-cept: question of the day. I promised to reflect on the results, so here I go.

The first topic involved accents. As I said way back then, I know what I like and dislike in accents, but had little idea how people in other parts of the world gauge different accents. So I devised three questions. That sought to explore the concept in greater depth. The questions were:

  • What is your primary language, and do you have a regional accent?
  • Do you speak any other languages?
  • [Most importantly] What do you think is the sexiest accent or language to your ear?

Rather than whip up some spreadsheets, bar charts and pie graphs (umm, pie), I thought that's I'd indulge in a little blue sky thinking and mediate on the responses. Things that I learned include:

  • A lot of native English speakers responded. Shocking, I know, on an English language blog and all!
  • I have a few American English accents, ranging from the brutalist Noo Yawker, Californian teen, flattened Midwesterner, hybrid US/French/Serb (that, I'd love to hear), a little Southern lilt, as well as a couple of softer American tones less identifiable by region.
  • Similarly, we seem to have a couple of 'non-descript middle England' as well, which is a shame, as I would love a real "Nowt thaan laaddd git er oop rooaad n darn pit like" Huddersfield beauty to throw in the mix.
  • Of our non English speakers, we've also got some native Japanese speakers, Marathi, Hindi, Bengali and German respondents. Given the quality of their answers, I can assure you that their English is infinitely superior to my German.
  • My word we have a lot of multilinguists out there. Reinforcing my suspicions, Australians are very slack when it comes to second languages.
  • (Obviously), our non-English readers are pretty confident with their English skills (or should be).
  • The Indian readers are a talented bunch as a group. I guess living in a nation of such diversity, you have no choice but to engage with lots of languages!
  • Those who speak English as a second language are more likely to have a third, or forth language too!
  • Of our English speakers, people seem keen to try their hand at Spanish, Italian, French, and German, but perhaps are a little [ahem] slack in their studies.
  • We have a nice nod to Central Europe though, with some native English speakers able to get around with some decent Hungarian and Romanian.
  • I am intrigued to hear of 'West Japanese'. I shall be looking that one up!

The most intriguing question for me concerned sexiness. Of 22 responses, most seemed to agree that the accent alone was not enough, and that a hottie speaks a universal sexiness. That said, there were some interesting (not to mention rather revealing) responses. I needed to take a cold shower after Blackie's revelation.

In order of votes, I tallied up the following:

  • FIVE for French (plus one for a Frenchman speaking English);
  • FOUR for Irish (I do hope that it was a Cork thing rather than a grubby Belfast accent);
  • THREE for German (plus one German speaking French);
  • THREE for Australian (they can't have met Pauline Hanson);
  • TWO for Italian (plus one for southern Italian, which is sure to piss off Berlusconi);
  • TWO for Scottish (although I think that they mean a 'nice' one and not an urban Glaswegian. Surely not?);
  • the Russian, generic British, Spanish and South African (!) all got ONE vote;
  • as did the wonderfully specific "native Kyoto lady speaking Japanese" and "cultured Hungarian fellow speaking BBC English";
  • in a turn up for the books, the dulcet tones of Cornwell also got a vote. I love the West Country accent, don't get me wrong, but more in a "makes me smile" than "stirs my loins", kind of way.

So there we have it! What did we learn?

LOTS!

If you didn't partake in the questions, feel free to have a crack, and I'll get around to crunching the numbers of the other four shortly!

Comments

Very interesting.

I think an Australian accent --or barring that, British, is pretty sexy, a lot sexier than American. American accents aren't sexy at all!

[But my husband, a native Detroiter (American all the way), is pretty sexy.]
Oh, the picture is very nice!!!
Priyanka Khot said…
I liked the quote, the picture... but the praise for the Indian group won my heart the most.
Layrayski said…
I like the photo. Did you use a filter with that? Nice.

Oh and I answered you accent question. =)
Ben Nakagawa said…
Wow, that's a beautiful image. I love the smooth tone from bright light source to the dark part. Stunning image.
blackie said…
crap. yet another occasion when my mouth comes back to bite me on the bum in a cheek-redding manner.
Anonymous said…
I love the picture!

I certainly meant 'nice' Scottish (I'm pretty sure I specified "not Glasgow"! My local drunks are hilarious and polite, but not remotely tempting I'm afraid).
yournotalone said…
I added my bit to the language questionnaire:)
Louis la Vache said…
"Louis" likes the geometry of the rigging of the boats against the sky.

Speaking of accents: when "Louis" lived in France, he was once speaking French to two women in a chocolate shop in Normandy. Speaking French, not English. "Louis" had lived in California for 30 years before moving to France. One of the women asked him Habitez-vous en Texas?

Bonjour, y'all!
EG CameraGirl said…
I answered your language questionnaire. ;-) So sorry I missed it before. My third answer matches today's photo quite well, bu the way. as my fave is accent is from the Maritime provinces (Canada) of Newfoundland and Nova Scotia.
I hope not to be late to the questionnaire.
1 .- Spanish. In Murcia there is a dialect called "Panocho" but is no longer in use. There was talk for many years in the Huerta of Murcia.
2 .- English. I understand better than I speak.
3 .- French, without a doubt. Although it would also have to mention that the Spanish of Argentina.
USelaine said…
As for the Cornish, well, you just haven't ever had yer timbers shivered, but yer young yet.
Anonymous said…
Quiet scene, so nice.

I'm enjoying your linguistic research. I'm still mulling the third question, although in the rarefied atmosphere of the past few days, I might venture the answer: Obaman.
Kris McCracken said…
Mary, I quite like the Detroit accent, actually.

Priyanka, well, you excel as a group. No wonder that India is on the rise!

Layrayski, no filter, I did fiddle with the contrast just a touch, but generally it was all mother nature at work.
Kris McCracken said…
Ben, I’ve been pretty lucky on some of the recent mornings, the light has been great to shoot in.

Blackie, I generally try to view those occasions as character building.

Jackie, I will admit to finding the thick Aberdeen accent amusing, if not sexy.
Kris McCracken said…
Aigars, cheers, I’m always interested in the Baltic, particularly with regards to how Russian is seen in the region as an everyday language.

Louis, I will admit that this is what drew my eye too!

Your EG Tour Guide, I like them too. There has been a lot of work tracing the roots of what is quite a distinctive accent. It’s really interesting to see how they can isolate specific regional Irish accents within various Canadian accents!
Kris McCracken said…
MurciaDailyPhoto, it’s never too late to join in!

My wife does a handy little number in ‘outback’ Argentinean Spanish.

USelaine, I hope that I don’t miss out.

Dina, is Yiddish considered sexy these days?

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut