Skip to main content

The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it.


So I’m standing at the lights, and these two guys are in some kind of speed boat. Only I think that they were trafficking cocaine, rather than speed. C’mon, they’re not on motorbikes.

So I see these dudes, and I’m like, “it’s my duty as a good citizen to stop them going about their destructive ways”. The thing is though, the little red man/woman/citizen is up, and I’m like, “it’s my duty as a good citizen to obey the little red man/woman/citizen”. Torn by the conflicting drives and obligations, I had a little nervous breakdown.

After my recovery – and the flight to freedom from our Columbian friends in the speedboat – the little red man/woman/citizen got me to thinking about my favourite variation on the theme, the world famous Ampelmännchen.

You might be familiar with the Ampelmännchen tale, the friendly face of East Berlin. Like me, you may have even been to the Ampelmännchen shop and purchased an Ampelmännchen t-shirt.

The theory behind Ampelmännchen (are you starting to see how much I love writing Ampelmännchen?), was devised by cunning traffic psychologist Karl Peglau. Utilising the kind of underhanded and fiendish tricks best associated with the former Deutsche Demokratische Republik, the Soviet [-sphere of influence] Svengali bedazzled the world with the masterstroke that very nearly won the Cold War for the RED HORDES.

The idea of Ampelmännchen (there he is again) was rooted in a theory that anticipated people responding better to the traffic signals (obeying the commands of the state) if they were presented by a friendly character, instead of a set of meaningless coloured lights.

The was only one thing that stopped Peglau’s masterstroke of social control, and the fatal flaw in his thesis to reducing the world to a state of zombie-like subservience to the grinding mediocrity of a cold, grey and heartless drift along with the current of dialectical materialism.

That thing was emblematic of the failure of Communism to usurp Capitalism: the petit bourgeois hat that rested on dear little Ampelmännchen’s head! The apparatchiks under Walter Ulbricht took offense (probably) to the blatant vulgarity of that hat and thus stopped the mesmeric, messianic and enigmatic Ampelmännchen appearing on all manner of high quality East German goods (turnips, two day old loaves of rye bread, tractors, cruise missiles et cetera).

In honour of Ampelmännchen, I penned this little ditty. I apologise in advance for the crude German.

Ampelmännchen, Ampelmännchen, Ampelmännchen, Ampelmännchen

Mit dem kecken Schritt,
und Ihre glückliche Lächeln,
Sie wird Crush die kapitalistische Schweine,
und zertrümmern den imperialistischen Hunde,
mit dem kecken Wanderung durch das stolz sozialistischen!

Ampelmännchen, Ampelmännchen, Ampelmännchen, Ampelmännchen

Wie wir liebe dich so!

Comments

smudgeon said…
I went into a souvenir shop on Unter den Linden & they were selling one of the old traffic lights featuring Ampelmannchen. As I couldn't think of what I would actually do with it, or how I would get it back home (there was also the small matter of the €600 asking price), I settled for the t-shirt & some Ampel gummi...

...I hear in Dresden they expanded the concept to include Ampelfrau. She wore a filthy bourgeois hat, too.
Priyanka Khot said…
I had no idea that the little man appearing on the traffic signal at the most inopportune moment was Ampelmännchen... Thanks now while I am driving... I know who to hurl the abuse at. :-)
Carola said…
Your german poem is a big surprise, really good. I'm from Germany. Now travelling with two kids husband in Turkey, eastbound. Here they have traffic signals which count down and tell you how much seconds are left.
I really like your blog. The different themes, your humor and the pics.
Wel...isn't that the way books and "educational shows" teach our children to behave? Friendly characters urging obedience and manners...
yournotalone said…
I am glad you are OK.

I am more interested in what did you do after all - did you report it to the police or somewhere else - news agency?
Kris McCracken said…
Me, I am not a fan of the Ampelfrau. I hated Ms. Pacman too.

Priyanka, you shouldn’t abuse Ampelmännchen, he is just there to help!

Carola, I am glad that the poem worked out, I tried to keep it in the spirit of the East German oeuvre.
Kris McCracken said…
Diva, you are quite right. Communism in our schools! Where’s Joe McCarthy when you need him?
Kris McCracken said…
Aigars, well, they could have been going fishing...

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut