Skip to main content

The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.


It requires no profound insight to see that many people exhibit a tendency that confuses (or conflates) the concepts of morality and faith. Obviously, as a dude who is candid and impenitent about his atheistic outlook on life – yet still endeavours to conduct himself in a professional and (more importantly) ethical manner – it seems rather obvious to me that one does not need religious faith to lead a righteous and healthy life. Similarly, simply assuming religious faith on its own does in no way mean that someone is ethically sound (in fact, it often means quite the opposite).

That said – and I’ll be frank with you (and howya goin’ Frank?) – I am aware that I can be a cold and callous bastard and have high demands on people, I know that. Sometimes it takes a nice bit of graffiti to soften my marble-like disposition.

So, after seeing this amiable request (and I read it as a request) neatly drawn on the entrance to the ALP HQ on my way to work this morning, I vowed to try and emphasise the positives and show compassion and understanding in all of my dealings for the day.

Of course, then I opened my e-mail and went through the correspondence therein, but that is another story for another comic...

Comments

blackie said…
i must be weak for i am terrible at forgiving. i still hold grudges from age 10. there are some people who have crossed a line with me that i pretend are dead. still, the graffiti hit a spot. maybe i'm not all monster.
Tash said…
Gees, Kris - how can you squeeze so many profound statements in such a short post. Glad you got it entered before opening the e-mail. I'm with you on faith & ethics.
magiceye said…
:) absolutely!

in answer to your question re decrease in numbers of crowds to watch cricket well,
1)we have been having a surfeit of cricket in various forms
2)the new stadium at nagpur is out of the city
3)the concept of watching it at home on the telly where you can watch closely and give your studied opinion on every controversy (at least 1 a day now)is picking up.
4)economics.
Priyanka Khot said…
That's a Mahatma Gandhi quote...

Reading about your views on religion I was reminded of the description of the cycle of religion provided beautifully in a book by Richard Bach --- One.
yournotalone said…
:D:D

I have to agree on one thing - people does not need religion to understand ethics and have acceptable behaviour. By acceptable I mean - they are able to love, do good to others and achiev harmony...

Religion can help someone, sure, so, please, religios folks do not feel offended
Petrea Burchard said…
I'm so glad I clicked here today. I'll just put it this way: I know atheists who are kinder, more honest, more Christian-like than some "Christians" I know. "Christians" in America have gotten tiresome of late. They've given the real Christians a bad name.

I'm very disappointed about Proposition 8 in California. Which is kind of on the same subject. Faith & ethics, like Tash said.
Maria Verivaki said…
monochrome really works for this shot
Anonymous said…
So let's all try to be strong :-)
Kris McCracken said…
Blackie, me too. I can be mighty angry at someone over a sustained period about a single act. I do try to forgive, but it doesn’t come easily!

Tash, “pithy and profound”, that’s my motto!

Magiceye, I never considered the impact of TV. We had that here in Australia too some years back, but the crowds returned during the team’s good run. I’m not sure how big they’ll be this summer though...
Kris McCracken said…
Priyanka, it is indeed the man himself. A very interesting fellow indeed.

Aigars, agree 100%

Petrea, the funny thing is that all intolerance that I’ve encountered presents itself in the same ways and the same sorts of people: Christians, Muslims, and those of extreme political views (whether anti-tax/gay/globalisation or indeed pro-family/environment/nation), it doesn’t seem to matter what it is, they all tend to only listen to views that reinforce their own and discard (often aggressively), anything that challenges their own faith/identity/assumptions. They’re not fun folk to be around when you consider yourself a laid back pragmatist!
Kris McCracken said…
Kiwi, the light and colours were rather dull, so I figured that going this way might strengthen the image.

Ingrid, I’m trying! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary