Skip to main content

Worth the wait?

Some time ago I revealed my secret that I am a bit of a flag fancier. It was this covert hobby that led to question three in the series of questions that I threw out into the abyss a couple of months ago.

The questions were simple:
  1. Do you have a favourite flag?
  2. Is there a flag that makes you blush at the blatancy of its fashion faux pars?

Now it's time to tally the results!

Well, there were no clear winners or indeed losers, just a list of favourites and not so favourites. In terms of favourites, we had a couple of people nominate the flag of the United Kingdom, the illustrious Union Jack. Other popular picks were the standards of Israel, China, Botswana, Kenya and Italy. The now-defunct Soviet flag (a favourite of mine, I will admit), also secured a vote, as did the city of Denver, Colorado.

But really, like the endless parade of dull karaoke shows that grace our TV sets these days, the real action can be found in the shockers. I was glad that someone supported my embarrassment over the Australian flag. Lacking in inspiration, and dominated by another – albeit decent – flag, it is laziness personified. I’d support changing it, only my fear would be the same idiots that voted in Advance Australia Fair would pick some green and canary yellow monstrosity with a cartoon kangaroo on it. I'll stick with dull over monstrously ugly, thank you.

Another that stood out was Rwanda’s previous flag (apparently they figured that all of those brutal killings somewhat tainted the brand, so they upped and changed it. Go figure). It does appear that upon deciding on their colours, the bright folks in charge of the committee realised that actually, Guinea already uses that flag! After a couple more meetings, it seems that the solution was found: put a bloody great ‘R’ on it (for ‘Rwanda’, you see?) No word on why Guinea didn’t respond with a ‘G’.



The other standouts for me include the Microsoft Paint (circa 1994) gem of the Northern Mariana Islands. No relation to the (more famous), Spagetti Mariana Island, this little baby would be a treat for kids to colour in. They probably couldn't do a worse job, anyway.



Eagle eye spotter and Itsy Bitsy enthusiast USelaine of Willits, California (gateway to the redwoods; heart of Mendocino; and home of Seabiscuit!) nominated the flag of the now defunct Benin Kingdom. Reminiscint of the old C64 game Barbarian, the Benin Kingdom flag harks back to a time of more simple pleasures, where the uncomplicated act of decapitation seemed a natural fit for a national flag. Good times.



Don't worry, when I get a moment, I shall get a moment and revisit the final two questions, concerning two of my favourite topics: stars of the silver screen, and meat. Until then, anyone that hasn't answered any of the questions and would like to contribute can find all of the links in this post!

Comments

USelaine said…
I could not be more proud.
Miles McClagan said…
I'm still not happy there wasn't much love for Nepal...it's a flag patriotic bennies can't knit...that makes it boss...

May I point you, if you ever see it, to Switzerlands soccer top circa 1994, a national flag as top, with a sloping cross?
Jim Klenke said…
I like uselaines pick, its original thats for sure.
USelaine said…
Looks like the man on the right attempted to do something he dreadfully referred to as "The Hokey Cokey", while the expected, nay required, dance was The Hokey Pokey. If you aren't going to put your right foot in, along with all the normal people, get off the dance floor. Quickly.
Kris McCracken said…
USelaine, as you should!

Miles, I have addressed your concern today. I remember the Swiss gear from Euro '96, but can't remember '94.

Jim, as did I.

USelaine, I have felt like the fellow on the left at many points this week.

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut