Skip to main content

The art of acting consists in keeping people from coughing.


Here you can see Henry doing Anthony Hopkins doing Hannibal Lector doing Henry, trying to eat Ezra's face. Don't panic though, it was only a game, and Ezra emerged unscathed.

Far too long ago now, I asked a question of everyone about which actor they would like to play them in a film. As I said at the time, otherscruelly and maliciously, I might add – suggested one of Robert Downey Jr, Hugh Grant and (most unkindly) Ben Affleck to play the part of yours truly.

Of course, I vociferously and aggressively rebuked such nonsense, and suggested indie-favourite early-1990s floppy haired Martin Donovan. I think that he would have the height and gravitas to successfully translate me onto the big screen.

Oddly, other people seemed reluctant to engage with this question – unlike the others that were asked that week – I put it down to the unhealthy tendency to subdue our egos that society often forces upon us. Naturally, this is I am happy to disregard at will. I am of the Shirley Strachan school of thought in this regard.

There were some takers though, and I am happy for you to continue to contribute if you wish, and some very interesting suggestions.

I very much liked Hallam’s suggestion of Eric Stoltz (as Rocky Dennis), in what surely would be Oscar bait of any year. USelaine went through a bevy of beauties to arrive at Kathy Bates. I liked that Sue was open to Whoopi Goldberg, who would be required to pull out an extraordinary performance rivalling C. Thomas Howell’s star turn in the quite unconvincing Soul Man.

Juliet Binoche was a favourite, and Blackie keen on the idea, but dipping in to the deep pool of talent that underwrote Canadian classic Degrassi for a suggestion that might be closer to the mark.

Miles audaciously suggested Kelly Ripa in drag, it would be interesting at least, and Saretta nominated figure of much McCracken-household hate Nicole Kidman. [No offence Saretta, but I just don’t get Nicole Kidman, she just can’t act. And what happened to the ginger, freckly, frizzy haired girl that Australia first got to know? When BMX Bandits is the best you’ve done in thirty years, time to give it away love...]

Jackie was thinking Oscar too when she nominated Emma Thompson, and ‘Me’ of Launceston is thinking a young Alan Rickman. I wonder if he means Alan Rickman Alan Rickman, or Stella Street Alan Rickman? I love Stella Street Alan Rickman.

For the record, I would like to nominate Dame Judi Dench for Henry, George Clooney for Ezra. Jennifer was noticeably absent in commenting on this question, and I would implore her to have a crack at it and not keep the world in suspenders.

Comments

Yes - Judi Dench for Henry...please keep these votes on record for him to see when he's teenagerish.
USelaine said…
This reminds me of another actor who seems to be the same, over and over: Nicholas Cage. I just don't get him.
julia said…
I see your background and opinion of the colour of the opera house have affinities. The colour is truly off white or buff I think. Funny how the building fails to nestle into the shore either. I must check out your links for Eastern Europe interests.
Megan said…
If casting est complet, I can only be the audience.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Miles McClagan said…
It's always been Kelly Ripa for me, I've never found the male clutzy 70s born equiv...Simon Pegg? No, it's either Kelly Ripa, or the lead singer of Sixpence None The Richer...gender bending Oscars, it's all good...
Priyanka Khot said…
Oh ur kids are just too adorable. I can almost smell the whiff of baby powder from lil Ezra the strappy Henry.

Amazing photograph.
Kris McCracken said…
Diva, oh don't worry, I will!

USelaine, he is a one trick pony. I did nominate him to play my brother in a movie though.

Julia, Eastern Europe = the way forward. The Opera House = overrated!

Megan, the audience, as played by Megan!

Miles, Simon Pegg? With or without little goatee?

Priyanka, it is a pearler.

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut