Skip to main content

Up, up and away, in my beautiful, my beautiful BAAA-LOOOON...


So here I am in the skies above a fresh Hobart summer's morn. I quite like the top photograph, the geometric lines of the wing and pastoral beauty of the sun-dabbled land below is a subtle mix of images that I do like very much.

Photos taken from a plane are rarely successful, in my experience, so I was quite happy with the way that that these ones turned out.

This second image is an aerial shot of Cambridge, the location of ‘Hobart’ airport.

Apologies for the brevity of the post. It is a bloody madhouse here today, and when you’re the boss (and believe me I feel so grubby saying that), every bastard wants a piece of you!

Comments

USelaine said…
I would love to fly away right now. I could use a little southern hemisphere springtime.
I like a lot your wing photo.
I think that your children will have told you: welcome home daddy (well, Ezra will have thought about it, haven't he?).
Miles McClagan said…
True story, when I landed in Dubai about 7 years ago, they turned down all the lights on the plane so you could see Dubai at night, and it was flippin brilliant, all lit up, fancy, nice...

Last year was landing in Hobart, pilot did the same...no lights on anywhere, like, two farm lights on, that was it...he turned them back on in embarassment...
stromsjo said…
Gee, I still have a hard time figuring out how anyone can enjoy a summer morning in December. Looks like the real thing though...
blackie said…
the top one is...tops. i like patchwork paddocks
Lovely photos, especially he top one. Photos taken from the plane very rarely turn out well, at least that is my experience.
Yes, and then..when you're the boss...
Kris McCracken said…
USelaine, it’s summer now, but you wouldn’t know it here in Tasmania. It was stinking hot in Canberra though.

MDP, I arrived when they were all asleep, but they seemed happy enough to see me!

Miles, poor little Hobart. He should have turned it into a positive!
Kris McCracken said…
Per, I struggle with the idea of sweltering in July myself!

Blackie, you can take a shedload these days without wasting film, that’s my reasoning why this one turned out.

Blognote, I don’t mind being the boss at the moment, but that’s only because things are settling down.
stromsjo said…
;) Equally confused, then! Sounds fair.
Danial Bigham said…
This landscape is beautiful.

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary