Skip to main content

Mon incompréhension est ma plus grande qualité car elle laisse une place a l'imagination.


This is a Datsun 1600. It went by the name of the Datsun 510 in the US, where it was apparently known as the “poor man’s BMW.”

I see this car every morning as I approach work. It is usually sitting on its own at the Silo’s end of Salamanca place, and I have no idea who actually owns it or why it is parked there. Even though I have no idea who it belongs to, every day I like to exercise my imagination and mentally prepare a brief back story of the owner. A guy has to have a hobby, what can I say?

This other morning was a good one. On Tuesday, the owner was a ruggedly handsome Mossad agent who is deeply penetrated into a shadowy organisation that ostensibly facilitates theatre programmes for prisoners on day release, but in reality operates as a sleeper cell that recruits and trains ‘cleaners’ for splinter groups administered by rogue elements of the Palestinian Authority. He is a great dancer and his hair always smells very nice.

Yesterday, the owner was an elderly gent who takes great pride in his appearance and – despite him never having claimed so – is assumed by almost everyone he meets to be mourning a wife that he loved very deeply and for whom he retains that love. In fact, he is a lifelong bachelor from who moved to Tasmania from another state after an unsavoury misunderstanding at his (then) local bowls club. The man has a distasteful predilection for girls in their late-teens and early twenties, and he utilises the erroneous assumption that he mourns a lost love to his advantage. It seems that pity affords him the opportunity to leer at the supple and ripe young bodies, the memories of which serve as fodder for his perverted fantasies. He never acts on these fantasies, but sometimes the looking is more than enough to upset people who – even though they’d never say it – think that he is a creepy old man.

This morning, the owner is a young lad who has loaned his car to his mother while he is off trekking around Laos and Cambodia for three months. He has named the car “Delta” after his ex-girlfriend’s favourite singer from the radio. His mother refuses to use the name though, as she feels to give a car a name is a foolish thing to do. She thinks that she is unhappy, but she doesn’t know why. Her husband loves her, even if he struggles to reveal it openly sometimes. Her son also loves her and chastises himself for not telling her more. For a woman of her vintage, she has retained a girlish figure and an impish smile that stranger like. She thinks that she might be going through ‘the change’, but I think that it is more likely to be the weather.

It has been hot.

Comments

yournotalone said…
You've got the imagination, man:D:D
Kris McCracken said…
Aigars, it keeps me going throughout the day...
EG CameraGirl said…
Wonderful! One car and three stories. Imagine what might happen if you were allowed to spend a week in a parking lot. ;-)
Kris McCracken said…
EGTG, well, that's only one a day.

And not many cars stimulate my imagination.

Buildings, on the other hand...
Anonymous said…
What do you think Sigmund Freud would say to your fantasising?
Kris McCracken said…
Roddy, he would say "get yer hand off it!"
Anonymous said…
If we can't escape into our fantasys'then there is absolutely nowhere left for the adventurist. What a world we can create when we are alone.
Petrea Burchard said…
I'd hate to think what life was like for you before you had a blog.

Oh. Wait. You might have had a word processing program. Or a typewriter. Or pen and paper.

I feel better.
Sarah said…
Ohhh, It was it was so interesting.Sometimes in the life we see somethings that keep us going throughout old memories!
Thank you for visits from my blog.Sorry that I can not visit here much.I am still busy with my lessons :)
Babzy.B said…
I like the quote "in french" for once easy to understand ;) i love your stories too , keep writing !
Maria Verivaki said…
my uncle's still got his old datsun working in tip top order (he doesn't use it much), and it's over 20 years old. my hyundai is nearing 10, and i dont want to give it up either, as it takes me everywhere
KL said…
You have great imagination, Kris. Also write very nicely. I should not be asking this, but is by anychance you have a degree in English Literature or World Literature?
G. B. Miller said…
Very nice prose.

Datsun, eh?

I can't even remember the last time a Datsun was marketed in the U.S.
Kris McCracken said…
Petrea, a pencil and some books. And I used to play a lot of Playstation before Henry turned up.
Kris McCracken said…
Sara, that's okay, lessons are far more important!
Kris McCracken said…
Bazby, I try to mix them up to give everyone a shot at it!
Kris McCracken said…
MKiwi, people have a tendency to move on too quickly from cars. I say this, of course, as someone who doesn't drive!
Kris McCracken said…
KL, did Major in Political Science at Uni, with minors in History, English and Philosophy.

I did intend to do more English, but to be honest, the people in the Department were rather annoying, so I didn't take any subjects after my second year.
Kris McCracken said…
Georgie B, you still see plenty of Datsuns around these parts, but I can't say that I remember and ad for one in the last twenty years!

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut