Skip to main content

Sentimental irony is a dog that bays at the moon while pissing on graves.


So we’ve got some water and a rope again. This was taken this morning in Sullivan’s Cove, right in the heart of Hobart.

Thanks to Willits’ finest, Elaine, I have one of these interweb tube meme things to relieve me of the need to be overly creative. This is a good time for one of these things actually, as I’ve been up since half-past-three in the morning (Ezra got back to sleep, I didn’t) and I’m not faring too well.

All I have to do is reveal five details about myself, and I figure that I can probably manage that so I shall give it a go.
1) I fail to understand what is so special about the work of Vincent Van Gogh. In general, I think that the post-Impressionists were pretty rubbish when compared to the Impressionists.

2) I think that Gough Whitlam seems like a bit of a wanker, to be honest, and I can’t understand why so many people – with many of whom I share comparable political views – worship him.

3) I sometimes regret not throwing in “Napoleon” as a middle name for Henry.

4) I strongly believe that George W. Bush will be proven to have been a better – as in less worse – US President than Warren G. Harding, who was an absolute shocker.

5) I used to have great difficulty telling people that I love them, but I am pretty comfortable doing so now. Well, at least with three people. Everyone will just have to wait until I sort myself out.

So there you go. Easy. I think that I am supposed to ‘tag’ five more people, but in the interest of fairness and equality, I would like to extend the invitation to anybody who would like to expose themselves to the world (the filthy buggers), or are just very tired an can’t think of anything else to write.

Let me know how you get on.

Comments

freefalling said…
The rope is hard to see.

Something new on the tv news here - the news readers are without jackets!
That's to show us they empathize with their audience.
Lame.
(44 degrees temp here today)
Babzy.B said…
the reflection in the water is beautiful, could be a painting !
Kris McCracken said…
FF, I have to make the audience work you see. Can't make it too easy.

It is an awful kind of hot your way. TV people are stupid. No jackets! What toil.

It's as believable as poor old Ian Thorpe.
Kris McCracken said…
Bazby, thank you. My painting is not quite up to this standard though!
Vince said…
yes, totally agree with you about the post-Impressionists, especially after being lucky enough to have a look at them all room by room in the Musee D'Orsay, and being absolutely blown away by the Imps (eg Sisley !! fantastic Pissarro, and of course Monet) and then getting to the Post-Imps and going "ohh. I see."

I love your photo - some great light variations.
Kris McCracken said…
VMeister, it was odd for me to be walking around the Louvre and find myself in these great empty halls as people rush by, ignoring the paintings, and propel themselves towards a some heaving mass of people at the end of the hall.

See, they were all craning their necks to get a glimpse of the Mona Lisa (safely behind a rope), and I had to turn to Jen and point to Tintoretto's The Coronation of the Virgin not six inches in front of me and say, "why are they craning to look at that postage stamp when they could get right up to this? IT'S TINTORETTO!"

People are strange.
-K- said…
I have a slightly different opinion about van Gogh. Many of his paintings may be merely pretty or sentimental but there's a group of his night-time works in Arles as well as his portraits and self portraits that seem very striking to me.

Plus, his letters are quite good.

What I don't like is when others use him as an easy example for all artists as being troubled artists.
Kris McCracken said…
K, I agree that the night time works are stand outs, and I actually think that his early work is more appealing than the more well known stuff.

The thing about him and the mental illness is that it was a clearly diagnosable condition, treatable today, and not some 'artistic temprement' cliché, which demeans all people with such illnesses.

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut