Skip to main content

Photography is a reality so subtle that it becomes more real than reality.


Here's one of a very 1970s-looking Henry, and 1950s-looking Ezra that I took deep into the noughties just this weekend. Technically, it is not the greatest photograph that will ever be taken, as the light was just too bright and overwhelmed everything (not least the colour tones). The problem with photographing toddlers though, is that you just don't have enough time to adjust the settings.

That said, you CAN do a little post-production work and experiment a little if you think that there is something to the photo. I happen to like the fact that I've managed to snap both lads in one frame. I also like that both of them have their eyes open at the same time. Lastly, I just like the looks on their faces, as both of them look in the photo just like they look in my head: Henry is being a bit of a show-off and ready to bark an order, and Ez is just holding back a bit waiting for something to happen.

So first I trimmed the photo, shedding a heap of glare on the right of the image, and centring the faces a little better. Then I just drained the entire colour from it. Then it was fiddling with the exposure and contrast. But I still wasn’t sure. Henry’s hair gave me the idea to try and ‘age’ it a bit with a bit of grain and a muted sepia tone, to try and get that weathered photo look. I think that it works. What do you reckon?

Any tips for retrieving a dud photo? I’m happy to take ‘em on board...

Comments

Priyanka Khot said…
Really nice pic... both ur kids are adorable as I always say... Ezra is a hot favourite amongst my colleagues... and Henry still tops my list. :-D
Tash said…
It's a very artistic photo - you did great with crop this/unglare that/change tone there/spend lots of time here - definitely worth it. Their expressions are fabulous.
I think this is a wonderful photo, great SAVE! WOW!

Saving over-exposed pix is harder than under-exposed. You did fantastic.
KL said…
B&W photos are always nice, I don't kwow why, especially with people and cities. What software did you use to do this?
Anonymous said…
I stopped and read your blog and looked at the photograph. I just wanted you to know. I like what you are trying to do.
Kris McCracken said…
Priyanka, I won't tell Henry that the office has deserted him! He'll be stricken...
Kris McCracken said…
Tash, I generally don't spend much time on them, just fiddle with the settings and off we go! This one took abut two minutes.
Kris McCracken said…
Mary, thanks! I didn't want to miss the looks on their faces.
Kris McCracken said…
KL, I just used Microsoft Office Picture Manager, which is really basic, but really fast. I sometimes use Photoshop, but find it too slow.
Anonymous said…
That works for me.

I wonder what separate things they're looking at?
Kris McCracken said…
Jackie, Ezra is looking at me, and I suspect that Henry is trying to see the moon, as he is lunar obsessed (a lunatic in the original sense) at the moment.
That is really a nice and spontaneous 1950ies photo and a bit of post-production never harms.
Marie Reed said…
I think that the bit of sepia does wonders for the photo! Henry is getting huge! They grow up tooo quickly!
Kris McCracken said…
Blognote, if the ends are just, post-production is fine!
Kris McCracken said…
Marie, that is what his mum says.
Indian Art Zone said…
A woman is like a tea bag - you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water- Eleanor Roosevelt
That’s true. A woman would be able to rule the hearts and the world. She is a symbol of power. Willing to decorate your house with a painted woman? Visit IndianArtZone to choose from a wide category or artworks.

https://www.indianartzone.com/woman-lady-paintings-canvas-paintings-artworks

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut