Skip to main content

When one tastes that fruit that bathes their tongue in decadence, ones own wants oft causeth them to partake again, and deeper, each time


Last week you saw Ezra at the fish 'n chip joint by the water front, this week I can present Henry from that very same day.

Sweet little angel that he is, when we'd served up the various squid, scallops, prawns, fish and (most importantly) chips; Ez decided that he wanted milk right there and then. Now, please understand that my children - being the engaged, interested lads that they are - generally refuse to breast feed if there is anyone else talking, moving or breathing within a twenty metre radius. This necessitated the holder of the milk (poor old Jen) removing herself from the plate of tasty treats in order to find a quiet spot up on the pier to quell the brewing storm within young Ezra.

Easy enough, one might think. The chips can wait.

Enter Henry.

Jen was barely one foot out of the door when Henry made a dash for her assorted seafood and chips. Ever the gent, I stepped in and said "no Henry, they're Mummy's chips".

Henry tried again, and I again tried to establish that they were not his chips to have, and that Jen would be back soon and would appreciate losing her tea to a toddler with seagull-like tendencies.

Well, he gave me a look that would be best described as pure, unadulterated hatred, and bellowed at me "NO, NOT Mummy's chippies, HENRY's chippies!!!" He then again attempted to dive on his mother's plate with an unbridled lust normally associated with drug addicts, perverts and members of the clergy.

I should add that sat right in front of the irate toddler was a plate full of the very same squid, scallops, prawns, fish and (most importantly) chips.

Comments

yamini said…
So, you were finally able to save mummy's chips from Henry!!!! Well, as far as my experience goes, with other kids in my family, kids, by nature, consider everything that they mothers have, as their own (It is some kind of an unwritten rule in the children's rule-book). As an example, my younger cousin would come back from college during vacations and go back with a kit full of her mother's make-up things (without bothering to even ask). That is what a Teenager-on-her-way-to-adulthood did. By those standards Henry is, well, really not doing much!!!!!
Surprisingly, kids don't feel the same way about their father's belongings.... Or may be you could shed some light on that as well in one of your posts.
Priyanka Khot said…
I agree, Chips are important. With children as cute as Henry and Ezra, getting angry should not be an option... lolz
Vince said…
Great final line.
I was going to say, as I read it: "I bet the little beggar has his very own plate, right in front of him."
Eating from another's plate can appear to be somehow sweeter and more fulfilling...and yet, when you finally get hold of those chippies, you realise that they are the same as the chippies you were ignoring in front of you.
Anonymous said…
The grass indeed is greener!
I can totally relate to this - they are always so LOUD about it...
Sue said…
Children are totally irrational!!
If you ever work them out, write a book and you could retire as a multi-multi gazillionaire!
I want my copy signed!
KL said…
Fun and interesting reading :-). Great writing style.

Come on! he needs to eat from Jen's plate. The moment he does that, he feels like he is an adult and that makes him feel really good. Don't you remember all these childhood feelings :-D?
Anonymous said…
Aha the testing of boundaries never (got that..Never) goes away.
Kris McCracken said…
Yamini, poor old mothers...
Kris McCracken said…
Priyanka, I love chips.
Kris McCracken said…
Vince, they are very predictable in their fickleness.
Kris McCracken said…
Tania, and yet you want more!
Kris McCracken said…
Sue, they are quite stupid.
Kris McCracken said…
KL, yes POOR Henry. One kilo of chips is not enough!
Kris McCracken said…
Mo, and that is why I am building a dungeon under the house...
yamini said…
Ohh Nooo!!!! you make it sound sooo bad but ask the mothers, they revel in the joy of their kids claiming a part of their life every single day.
Ask Jen....
Anonymous said…
aah that stage doesn't last forever...
Kris McCracken said…
Yamini, all she does is complain about it...
Kris McCracken said…
Tania, no, only until they are 23...

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut