Skip to main content

Admiration, n Our polite recognition of another's resemblance to ourselves.


Back to the Errol Flynn Reserve in Sandy Bay again, and luck meant that I caught these three birds all engaged in their varied pursuits at the same time within the same shot. Some people don't like seagulls, but I am not one of those. Lesbians or not, I admire these wee beasties for their resilience, force of will, and adaptability.

However, don't let me tell you that, renowned twitcher William Leon Dawson firmly hits the nagla in the galva with his summation of the ubiquitous Western Gull:
Much that is good and all that is evil has gathered itself up into the Western Gull. He is rather the handsomest of the blue-mantled Laridae, for the depth of colour in the mantle, in sharp contrast with the snowy plumage of back and breast, gives him an appearance of sturdiness and quality which is not easily dispelled by subsequent knowledge of the black heart within. As a scavenger, the Western Gull is impeccable. Wielding the besom of hunger, he and his kind sweep the beaches clean and purge the water-front of all pollution. But a scavenger is not necessarily a good citizen. Call him a ghoul, rather, for the Western Gull is cruel of beak and bottomless of maw. Pity, with him, is a thing unknown; and when one of their own comrades dies, these feathered jackals fall upon him without compunction, a veritable Leichnamveranderungsgebrauchsgesellschaft. If he thus mistreats his own kind, be assured that this gull asks only two questions of any other living thing: First, "Am I hungry?" (Ans., "Yes.") Second, "Can I get away with it?" (Ans., "I'll try.")

William Leon Dawson, Birds of California, 1923

I think that this very much says it all.

Comments

KL said…
Lucky you to capture all those together. That is why really nice shot. If only the color contrast was more vivid...

There is(are) also something in the water under that bird which is flying. Fish?
Ronda Laveen said…
Lesbian cannibals that Leichnamveranderungsgebrauchsgesellschaft? Yoiks!
Babzy.B said…
Beautiful shot , kind of you never expected ... 3 birds ,3 differents actions without a collage , well capture !
yournotalone said…
Nagla galvā?

:D
yournotalone said…
Nail in the head - for the confused ones
yournotalone said…
Not literally :) ocourse
lettuce said…
cruel of beak and bottomless of maw.....
sounds pretty damning!
Anonymous said…
What sort of gulls are those, Kris? I imagine they'd cause quite a stir if they turned up amongst our herring and lesser black-backed gulls!
Kris McCracken said…
KL, is was a grey old day, so colours were of a premium.

I honestly don’t know what that is in the water. Perhaps the Loch Ness Monster dazed and confused?
Kris McCracken said…
Ronda, Germans have the best words.
Kris McCracken said…
Babzy, plain old luck!
Kris McCracken said…
Aigars, I’m giving Latvian a try!
Kris McCracken said…
Aigars, Latviešu ir jauka valodā.
Kris McCracken said…
Aigars, Viens cer, nē! Man žēl, ja es esmu slikti valodu.
Kris McCracken said…
Lettuce, but SEXY!
Kris McCracken said…
Enitharmon, I suspect that they are Silver Gulls. They're the most common. They could be juvenile Kelp Gulls though.

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut