Skip to main content

Every hero becomes a bore at last.


Yes, it is the barbed wire that can be found on the fire escape at my work site again! Yes, there is barbed wire on the fire escape, such is the genius of our dominant classes here in Tasmania. Featured here is one of the very many cruel means that concentrated power utilise to stifle the revolutionary intent of proletariat. Of course, I have either
a) had a small victory in securing the shift to a four day working week; or

b) been duped into a further - and unknowing - web of Repressive Tolerance.

Either way, I now have Fridays off!

To escape the drudgery of a further neo-Marxist critique of Australian non-government service delivery, I have turned to noted scholar (his book on Marx and human nature is well worth the effort), and proficient blogger Norm Geras, and his meme of En-title-meant.

The concept is a simple one: answer the questions using only the titles of books you've read this year and without repeating one.
Describe yourself: If This is a Man, Primo Levi

How do you feel? [like a] Penguin Lost, Andrey Kurkov

Describe where you currently live: Another World, Pat Barker

If you could go anywhere, where would you go? A Small Town in Germany, John Le Carré

Your favourite form of transportation? Night, Elie Wiesel [sleep being the only trip I take these days]

Your best friend is: The Spy Who Came In From The Cold, John Le Carré

You and your friends are: [similar to] The Spies of Warsaw, Alan Furst

What's the weather like? [like] When the Wind Blows, Raymond Briggs

You fear: Ignorance, Milan Kundera

What is the best advice you have to give? No One Belongs Here More Than You, Miranda July

Thought for the day: Things Fall Apart, Chinua Achebe

How would you like to die? Towards the End of the Morning, Michael Frayn

Your soul's present condition? The Truce, Primo Levi


Thankfully I've kept a list of everything of read since Henry was born. I knew that this here blog would come in handy one day!

Comments

Roddy said…
You certainly have your head full of mindless garbage. Apart from The Bible, War and Peace and the Lord of the Rings trilogy, I really can't recall too many books I have read.
Throw them to me and I can tell you whether I have read them or not and I can usually remember what they were about. Apart from that they are not catalogued.
yamini said…
I dnt agree with Roddy, for once.
Kris, You are so Smart!!!
Priyanka Khot said…
I loved this post...

Though, compared to you I have not read much, I think I have answers to some of these. :-)

Nice knowing you a little better.
Roddy said…
Have you yet worked out what the barbed wire is for? Perhaps to stop pigeons getting too close.
I really think it is designed to keep fools out. Or at least off the roof.
Kris McCracken said…
Roddy, knowledge is power.

Or something.
Kris McCracken said…
Yamini, book learnin' ain't the same thing as smart!
Kris McCracken said…
Priyanka, I have to do something to make those bus journeys pass.
Kris McCracken said…
Roddy, I would imagine to keep graffiti artists off the roof. That said, I can spot at least five easier ways to get on the roof anyway.
yamini said…
I was not talking about books only. My view was overall but now I am forced to rethink my conclusion. ;-))
Kris McCracken said…
Stupid is as stupid does.
yamini said…
:-)) Thanks for the compliment.

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral