Skip to main content

Politics is but the common pulse-beat, of which revolution is the fever-spasm.


Ummmm. Theme Thursday you say? A tricky one.

As ever, I have chosen the photo before making myself aware of the theme. It keeps the challenge up. This one is not too tricky though...

The theme today is FLIGHT, and when you say flight, the word that immediately comes to me does not evoke birds, wind or airports; it is the cold, hard truth of reality. Here, two typical Tasmanian CSIRO-employed nerdshunks are taking a well earned lunch break from their daily humdrum reality of, I dunno, measuring seagull farts. Re-creating Hemingway’s allegorical commentary on his philosophy of Manhood – The Old Man and the Sea – these two epitomes of manhood are locked in a desperate battle of wills with nature’s greatest beast: fishthe ego.

For the most part, reality is a bummer. Back when Generation X hadn’t been superseded by the vacuous, self-absorbed nitwits of Generation Y (why indeed), the kids used to say reality bites. It bites especially hard when you’re stuck at work. So dudes like those above choose escape. They choose FLIGHT from the dismal reality of wage slavery in the form of impaling worms on hooks and, impaling fish on worms.

Whatever gets you through the night fellas.

I choose cameras. Lunchtime for me typically involves wandering around aimlessly with a camera looking for something to shoot (in a photographic sense). For one, it stops the drive towards wandering around looking for something to shoot (in a literal sense).

Thus, my daily FLIGHT often involves clandestinely observing, and sometimes recording, the daily FLIGHTs of others.

It’s a living.

Comments

Tom said…
not a bad way to spend lunch...beats sitting in a break room listening to inane chattering coworkers. blah. Happy TT.
Kris McCracken said…
Getting out of the office is crucial.
Jaime said…
measuring seagull farts? is that really what you guys do to entertain yourselves over there?
Kris McCracken said…
Jaime, no, that's work!
Sue said…
Lunch...break...??? What is that? My employers keep me chained to a desk as I have to be available for the kiddies to come and get 'help' if they need it. They rarely do...but I have to be in my cave lest they come. I would love to be able to wander about the town...angling or shooting pics or just mindlessly meandering, I'm not fussed.
Kris McCracken said…
Sue, dare I say it?

You need to sue.
Baino said…
Yeh I sit by Parramatta River at lunch for 15 minutes with a smoke and a Dare Double Espresso before returning to Cubicleworld . . .although I'd feel like a bit of a dick fishing. I prefer to watch the Downs Syndrome guy from Fruitworld stand on the wharf performing to his iPod shuffle. Oh yeah . .I forgot my camera!
Sue said…
Did you hear me groan when I read your comment!??!
I hear that phrase EVERY day at work.
Somehow ALL the young adults think it is hilarious to ask me all the time, "Ay, Sue! Ya gunna sue 'em?? hehehe"
Hehehe indeed!
Each new class thinks I have never heard it!
Brian Miller said…
what is the windspeed on a seagull fart? lol. we all need those moments of flight or breaks from the insanity.
Betsy Brock said…
I agree with Tom...out and about on your lunch break sounds much more fun that sitting in the break room! And we get to enjoy your pics!
Ed & Jeanne said…
Sounds like we agree completely on the merits and reality of the working job...
Anonymous said…
We get two 15 minute breaks but nothing much to do at 1 or 4 in the morn'. But when 6 o'clock rolls round, stay clear of the after-burners!
Wings1295 said…
Whatever works, eh?
Roy said…
I hate break rooms! I was always outdoors for my lunch break, too. In fact, at one point with one job I only lived a 2-minute walk away, so I went home for lunch.

Those guys are expending far too much energy for lunchtime fishing. You're supposed to be stretched out with your feet propped up and the line drifting with the tide. Those guys need to learn to relax!
JeffScape said…
Looks like one of them is locked in a desperate battle with his lack of balance. Heh...
Kris McCracken said…
Thanks all, I'm hoping to see these fellas again. Next time, I hope they will be kissing.

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut