Skip to main content

Expectation is the root of all heartache.


A beautiful Spring day at the beach. Seven Mile Beach, September 2010.

Beaches are just as fine – if not better – for the photographically inclined punter in wild and woolly weather than the sun and fun. As long as you have your back to the pelting rain, you can get the odd impressive shot off now and again. Here I am looking north on Seven Mile Beach a few weeks back. The zoom has taken me maybe two-and-a-half miles,

Bereft of anything better, here is today’s eco-friendly Meme!

Do you recycle? Absolutely. One doesn’t need to chain oneself to an asthmatic lesbian Minke whale to do one’s bit.

Do you do you laundry with hot or cold water? Cold. Nappies soaking in the nappy-bucket get hot though.

What kind of light bulbs are in your house? Pass. They’re little ones.

Do you compost? We have a very small compost bin. It fills up very quickly.

What kind of vehicle do you drive? I don’t.

Do you use plastic or reusable bags when grocery shopping? When we still went to the shops, we took re-usable bags. Now we get the groceries delivered, they give us plastic bags. We don’t need bags!

What are three ways you conserve energy?
  • Keeping the lights down to the minimum, and shouting at children for leaving them on.

  • Utilising Hobart’s excellent fine okay burgeoning current public transport network.

  • Keeping our consumption down more generally. You don’t need to be buying more and more ‘stuff’. Get something, and make it last, that’s my motto.

Comments

Carola said…
That's a surprise, I didn't know that Aussies are so eco-friendly.
Many things I do the same. But I wash with 30 degree warm water, put the compost in a special green bin and carry our groceries in a big backpack (my husband does).
Kris McCracken said…
Carola, Australians have their strengths and weaknesses when it comes to the environment. We waste far too much, and use too much energy; but we do try to recycle and have advanced when it comes to protecting common spaces.

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral