Skip to main content

Patriots always talk of dying for their country and never of killing for their country.


Ezra is a little lackadaisical in manning the back pocket. Geilston Bay, October 2010.

Friday means Book Club Friday in this part of the world, and a super-busy week has meant that I’ve not had too much spare time to read. That said, I did manage to finish an odd little book from a German author I’d not read before, The Book of Words by Jenny Erpenbeck.

I’ll admit that I struggled through the first fifty or so pages, and I only kept going because it is quite a short novel. It’ll be hard to reflect on it without venturing into possible SPOILER territory, so proceed with caution…

The novel is transmitted through a very fragmented, vaporous kind of narrative voice, which initially reads very much like a creative writing exercise written by a talented, but raw and inexperienced writer. While I don’t mind fiddling about with narrative, the almost deliberately obtuse expression initially jars with what concerns the inner life of a young girl.

Eventually (after about fifty pages, funnily enough), it emerges that this young girl experiences her life in a country under a repressive political regime, whose brutality increasing becomes apparent as the book moves on. One of the things that irked with me was the obvious Teutonic influence – Erpenbeck grew up the former-East Germany – in both style and cultural flags in the story, but its inconsistency with what appeared to be a story set in Argentina during the Dirty War. Thankfully, a kind of resolution emerges.

The book itself is ultimately quite a moving mediation of the nature of life in a totalitarian state, and is ethereal and dreamlike, as well as brutal and shocking. The author has done a great job in triggering a mediation on the nature of repression, with comparison inevitably drawn between Nazi-era repression, the Stalinist German state and South American junta. Ultimately, the fact that the reader is afforded this while all the while remained true through the eyes of a young girl, is a great achievement.

Thus, the book is well worth the (early) effort. It seems a good translation, and at little over a hundred pages it is not a lot to ask for in time. It does demand somewhat more of the reader after the fact, and I think that this one will stay with me for some time.

Currently, I’m enjoying the very-well constructed autobiography of Don Walker, who some may recall as the keyboard player from Cold Chisel. It’s a beautifully constructed bit of work that really breaks convention in terms of biography. I’ll talk about that next week.

As ever, if you are a keen reader (or would like to be), and want to track your habits or see my recommendations or make some of your own, feel free to check out my profile at Goodreads!

Comments

smudgeon said…
I had a similar experience to this reading The Land of Green Plums by Herta Mueller (which sounds like a similar story). I found the style - very dreamy and sort of vague on details - rather distracting for the first quarter of the book, and by the time I got a handle on it I think I missed a few critical elements (like the plot). Still, it worked out in the end.

Might have to grab this one some time. Maybe re-read the first half to nail down some details before I move on!
Kris McCracken said…
Well worth the effort. If you had the time, you could knock it over in a few hours.

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut