Skip to main content

Many contemporary authors drink more than they write.


Exra studies Tasmanian history. Stanley, Tasmania's North West. February 2012.

Saša Stanišić’s debut novel, How the Soldier Repairs the Gramophone offers a moving portrait of the breakup of Yugoslavia (and the Bosnian conflict more specifically), as seen through the eyes of a child. The novel explores the barriers of race and religion and the absurd constructs that they are, and – perhaps unsurprisingly – it fails to offer up any real explanation as to how neighbours who previously laughed, drank and sang together suddenly started raping, torturing and killing each other.

The central chronicler is Aleks, of mixed Serbian and Bosniak heritage, as he struggles to comprehend the rapid descent into war and chaos of the once blissful Yugoslav town of Višegrad. This is an emotionally gruelling read. If you had any kind of awareness of what was happened in the former Yugoslavia, you’ll recognise the sense of dread from a reader’s perspective. Ultimately, it highlights the irrational and brutal nature of ethnic violence, set against the naive child’s view of the world. There is a great deal of charm in the detail of growing up by the beautiful river Drina, which makes what happened there (and the role of the river in disposing of the dead) all the more depressing.

Stylistically this is a challenging book. It flouts grammatical norms and the chronology and narration s jumbled. Aleks is an imaginative boy, which adds to the confusion. Throw in the absurdity of internecine warfare, and you have the recipe for a fair bit of head scratching. However, the diligent reader can manage a bit of untangling. I think that this tangled nature is part of the true genius of the book. It is confusing. It doesn’t make sense, child or otherwise. How else does a twelve year old process the casual murder and systematic rape of some members of his town (the bakers wife, the science teacher) by other members (the bus driver, the policeman) simply because they have the ‘wrong’ last name?

I hesitate calling a novel that features such ugliness ‘beautiful’, but I think that it is. Stanišić has pulled off an incredible feat here in trying to capture what ‘reconciliation’ means in the context of such horror. The fact that for most of our characters here ‘reconciliation’ means ‘silence’ is all the more terrible. This is an incredibly moving book, probably the best I have read thus far this year. A warning though, I did need a good sit down and was utterly emotionally gutted by the end. Well worth reading if you are up for it.

Comments

Roddy said…
1826. About 30 years before the
McCrackens arrived in Hobart.
Kris McCracken said…
And killed everyone?

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral