Skip to main content

If there is a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, you must be the one to write it.


Corners of buildings. Collins Street, as seen from Wellington Plaze, Hobart. April 2012.

Two great reads this week from two exceptional authors. First up is a sequel that I never knew existed, Sweet Thursday by John Steinbeck. Following on from Cannery Row, it is set in the years following World War II. We reunite with those characters who made it through the war. There is a little more plot and less vignette in this one, and ultimately it amounts to a love story of sorts.

Love, duty, happiness and loneliness are the central themes here and the story progresses at great speed to a satisfying conclusion. Although I enjoyed the book very much, and would strongly recommend reading it in companion to Cannery Row, I can't help but feel that it was somewhat slighter in tone. But maybe that was just the more upbeat ending!

Highly recommended.

Second up is Julian Barnes' prize-winning The Sense of an Ending. A tightly focused novel that relies heavily on a single narrative voice, it both demands and compels a very close reading. It is an incredibly effective book that really requires the reader return to the beginning upon completion in order to understand just how (and if) all the pieces fit into place.

We do get some warning. On the very first page our narrator states that “what you end up remembering isn’t always the same as what you have witnessed”, a sentiment that the reader must keep firmly in mind as we join him in his reflections on past events. Thus, there is a fair bit of work in store and we attempt to fill in the gaps of the story. Much of the narrative relies on what is not said. Indeed, the (conceded) gaps in both the narrator’s memories and his perception are crucial to the story.

This is a book of memory. The central premise of the book tracks the origin of one particular memory through a long and apparently dull life and brilliantly explores the tricks and diversions of our memories through an explanation of one man's story that beautifully leaves traces of unease that remind us of our own inconstancies of thought.

Just about every paragraph in this book has multiple interpretations. Questions are (partly) answered, but still the reader is left in the same state as our narrator about the essential 'unknowableness' of life’s essential mysteries, no matter how hard we try.

I really (REALLY) enjoyed this book. I think that it is close to perfect as it could be. It is perhaps the stand-out I've read this year, and I have read a few five star efforts. Very highly recommended!

Comments

Keira said…
Nice post, I am really glad to be 1 of several visitants on this awful site : D

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut