Skip to main content

Society is composed of two great classes: those who have more dinners than appetite, and those who have more appetite than dinners.


Beach life. Howrah Beach, Hobart. October 2012.

My Top Five Things I've Been Trying That You Really Need To Start Doing for Yourself!


  • Be honest with yourself. What is right for you? What needs to be changed? Be honest about with every aspect of your life. Once you do, you will have a better understanding of where you are and how you got there, and you will be better able to identify where you want to go and how to get there.
  • Learn the lessons your mistakes can teach. Mistakes are natural. If you’re not failing, you’re not trying and you can’t be learning.
  • Start enjoying the things you have. The problem for many is ‘happiness’ seems to be the next few steps away. They spend a lot of time thinking about how great it will be once they ‘get there’. Yet when they get there, it’s more than likely that they’ll have a new destination in mind. The trap is that you spend your whole life working toward something without ever stopping to enjoy the things you have. Don’t make that mistake.
  • Less than perfect is fine. ‘Perfect’ is the enemy of ‘good.’ Sometimes it’s better to accept and appreciate the world as it is, and people as they are, rather than to trying to make everything and everyone conform to an ideal that isn’t possible. Now, this isn’t an endorsement of mediocrity, but just because things are less than perfect should not mean unhappiness.
  • Concentrate on things you can control. – You can’t change a lot of things, but you can always change something. Wasting time and energy on things are beyond your control is a recipe for frustration. Invest your efforts in the things you can control, and just get on with it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut