Skip to main content

Courage easily finds its own eloquence.



Pretty beetle. Douglas-Apsley National Park, Tasmania's East Coast. January 2013.

Q and A time! Sunday Stealing: The 5000 Question Meme, Part Two

26. Who has done something today to show they care about you?

Ezra and Henry have been very good boys (thus far).

27. Do you have a lot to learn?

We all have much to learn...

28. If you could learn how to do three things just by wishing and not by working what would they be?

1) To learn a bunch of new languages (German, Russian, French, Spanish, Japanese and Mandarin). 2) To be able to understand and explain the entire range of geological history. 3) To learn the full scope of the world's flora and fauna.

29. Which do you remember the longest: what other people say, what other people do or how other people make you feel?

I'd like to think that I remember the action itself, but I suspect that what really solidifies itself in my mind is how the action made me feel.

30. What are the key ingredients to having a good relationship?

Respect, transparency and a thick skin.

31. What 3 things do you want to do before you die?

Relax, look around and generally have a good time.

32. What three things would you want to die to avoid doing?

I'm not certain that anything is worth dying to avoid doing. Dying is a rather extreme avoidance technique!

33. Is there a cause you believe in more than any other cause?

Is being true to one's self a cause?

34. What does each decade make you think of:

1970s = pre-history, 1980s = childhood/ nuclear armageddon, 1990s = change, 2000s = liberation.

35. Which decade do you feel the most special connection to and why?

The 1990s had its moments, but I think that I liked the 2000s more.

36. What is your favourite oldie/classic rock song?

I've got far too many to count. Off the top of my head The Spencer Davis Group's Gimme Some Lovin' is a hard one to beat.

37. What country do you live in and who is the leader of that country?

Australia. Leader? That's an interesting concept. We have a Prime Minister, but technically the Queen of the United Kingdom and the other Commonwealth realms is our leader.

??. If you could say any sentence to the current leader of your country what would it be?

The Queen or the Prime Minister? Either way, probably something like "time to go now..."

38. What's your favourite TV channel to watch in the middle of the night?

Believe it or not, I don't watch TV. The Internet has done away with that hoary old thing! So if I'm at a loss in the middle of the night, I get online.

39. What Disney villain are you the most like and why?

Maybe Shere Khan. Neither of us likes people very much.

40. Have you ever been a girl scout/boy scout?

No. I suspect that I might have enjoyed it in retrospect though.

41. If you were traveling to another continent would you rather fly or take a boat?

If I could afford it, I'd take a small boat!

42. Why is the sky blue during the day and black at night?

A) Daytime: because molecules in the air scatter blue light from the sun more than they scatter red light. B) It looks black to us because there is not enough light to stimulate the color-sensitive cones in our eyes.

43. What does your name mean?

Kristen is a first name, and generally understood to be the Breton, Danish or Norwegian form of Christian. It is a male name in Scandinavia, but bad luck would have it that about the very same time my parents thought that it would be a good name for their baby, a hell of a lot of Americans decided that they liked the look of it for their little girls.

44. Would you rather explore the deeps of the ocean or outer space?

The oceans!

45. What is the first word that comes to mind when you see the word:


Air: breathe.

Meat: department.

Different: strokes.

Pink: parts.

Deserve: nothing.

White: black.

Elvis: dead.

Magic: trick.

Heart: attack.

Clash: titan.

Pulp: Sheffield.

46. If you could meet any person in the world who is dead who would you want it to be?

I'd find Stalin interesting to quiz.

47. What if you could meet anyone who is alive?

They say Bill Clinton always entertains.

48. Is there a movie that you love so much you could watch it everyday?

Not really.

49. You are going to be stuck alone in an elevator for a week. What do you bring to do?

A stack of books and something to go to the toilet in. Water and a little food would also be useful.

50. Have you ever saved someone's life or had your life saved?

Perhaps I've helped steer someone in a better direction. My life saved? Not that I know of.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut