Skip to main content

Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets.


The ballot for the next family holiday. November 2019.


As a young lad – in the years before smart phones, the Internet and more than two television channels – I would spend hours pawing over atlases, encyclopaedias and novels from all over the globe. Sure, I might have been stuck in a dying, deindustrialising town (downgraded from a city, such was our fortune) on the north west of an island that served as the butt all the jokes of the rest of the state (which itself served as the punchline of the jokes of the rest of the country), at the arse end of the World; but that very same World was at my fingertips, with a little bit of help from a library card.

While I may have lamented never getting the chance of crossing those seas and seeing much of that World myself, I tried to keep my mind and imagination open. Therefore, now we are of means, and my kids are old enough to survive a bit of discomfort, I am keen to help them see as much of the planet while I have some kind of influence on how open their minds and hearts open.

I have been shocked to learn that – for all intents and purposes – this blog has been on hiatus for over six years. Quite a bit has happened in that time, not least the fact that we’ve been fortunate enough to visit thirteen different countries (that’s thirteen more countries than I had visited by the age of 26). Readers have missed our trips to Singapore (twice) and Malaysia. You’ve missed our galivanting around Japan. We’ve seen Rome, eaten oranges in La Spezia, stalked the Cinque Terre, battled smoking hordes in Firenze, braved snowstorms on Munich and Garmisch-Partenkirchen, waltzed in Vienna and bathed in Budapest.

You’ve missed us braving the cold and rain of London, dodging the seething throngs of Chinese and Russian tourists in matching tracksuits crowding the streets and alleyways of Prague. You’ve missed the joys of Hamburg, the grumps of Copenhagen and the happy young things of Malmö. You missed the fascination (and Henry’s horror) at the markets of Hong Kong. You missed us climbing mountains. So many mountains.

You missed Seoul. You missed Sokcho. You missed hours and hours and hours of us hanging around airports and train stations. Of course, we’re about to do it all again. Above, you’ll see our family holiday annual ballot. We run a democratic ship in terms of holiday decision-making, with my vote weighted the same as the kids (I even let the wife vote). We ran with an instant runoff voting system, with full preferential voting enforced. This is the second, and final round of voting. The first was an additional member variant, with a much larger ballot to narrow the choices.

The winner?

Egypt. A cradle of civilisation. Home of pyramids, mummies and gods with all manner of heads.

Which leads me to a question… Have YOU visited Egypt? Hints and tips? Must dos and must avoids?

Comments

Dina said…
O happy day! Welcome back!
No, I unfortunately have not been down to Egypt, unless you count the day trips to Santa Catarina, Taba, and the Suez Canal in the 1970s.
You guys have a great trip! Looking forward to your photos and commentary.
Roy said…
Welcome back, Kris! Any pictures from your travels?
Sue said…
Being related to you, I have been lucky enough to have shared in those previous travels. And enjoyed each and every one of ‘em.
I look forward to Egypt & all that you encounter.

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut