Skip to main content

"'I am Jessica Olive,' he heard her say absent-mindedly over breakfast. 'I am Cornelius and Nadine and George.'"


Jen and Ezra heading out. Sisters Beach, January 2021.

It's Raining in Mango by Thea Astley

Thea Astley is an interesting case study of gender and publishing in Australia. The winner of four Miles Franklin Awards (tied with Tim Winton as the most frequent recipient), most of her books remain out of print. It Is fair to say that she’s not as widely read as a great talent and unique voice in the Australian literary landscape deserves.

Which leads me to It's Raining in Mango, which spans multiple generations of the Laffy family in Far North Queensland. The book covers from the 1860s through to the 1980s. In it, they carry the family (and local) stories with them, and they identify as something more than themselves.

These stories intersect with the history of Australia itself, from the brutal invasion and settlement, the scramble of the gold rush through the misery of the Depression to the Stolen Generation, two World Wars and the hippies, freaks and dropouts of the 1970s.

Despite being published before the jingoistic Bicentennial celebrations of 1988, this is no celebration of the Australian character, nor is it some heroic family epic. The family is flawed, but decent, and thus echoes of failure and violence occur and reoccur throughout – tales of failed marriages and farms, the lawlessness on the mining fields, of poverty, of the betrayal of returned soldiers after World War I and the damaged veterans of World War II. The cruelty practised to the natives, the women, the children, the church, the police, the mobs and the state. Indeed, the novel opens and closes with the bulldozers of developers who tear down the rainforest to make way for ‘progress’.

It is an angry book, albeit a tired sort of anger. Incidents of dispossession and dispersal of the original inhabitants ripple through the book, with those stories written out of official histories forcing their way back in. It is an unapologetically feminist book, with women at the centre rather than at the periphery of the family stories.

The novel's other key strength is how Astley writes about the weather, and this is a hot and sticky book. Tropical heat rises from the page, with years measured not by anniversaries or holidays, but by the ‘build-up’ through the dry months and the breaking of the Wet, and with it cyclones and floods. The weather is, in many respects, the central character of the book.

Recommended it to all and sundry!

⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut