Skip to main content

“It's only our faith in illusions that makes life possible. It's believing in reality that does us in every time.”

Looking down over Hobart, kunanyi/ Mt Wellington. May 2021.

The Narrow Road to the Deep North by Richard Flanagan

As I continue to haphazardly wind my way through Richard Flanagan's oeuvre, I turn towards his Booker Prize-winning The Narrow Road to the Deep North. A book of many distinct parts, I felt the standout section was Book Three, detailing life in the Japanese prisoner of war camps with the Sisyphean task of building a railway in the jungle with no food, equipment or (for many) the hope of an ending.

Other elements - mainly those centring the love affair between Dorrigo Evans and Amy - I found overly sentimental and unconvincing. Given the internal struggle within Dorrigo, his outward bravery, and generosity juxtaposed with a cold and clinical relationship with his wife and children, the constant return to Amy felt a little forced and false. I could have also done without the twist and reveal of the connection between Dorrigo and poor old Darky Gardiner towards the end.

Enough of the things that I didn't like! Flanagan has created a world of rich and vivid characters that burn bright in the chapters written in the present tense. These same people fade and disappear in those sections seen from the minds of men looking far back. Not afraid to explore the complexities of the importance of remembering and forgetting, the novel gracefully exists in a world of grey moralities in which reasonable people often disappoint and fixed notions of good and evil are unrealistic given the realities of the human condition.

To do this, Flanagan has granted the 'other' of this book a presence and voice. It is a rare thing that the Japanese and Korean prison camp guards who oversee and order the brutal treatment of those in their charge are afforded any kind of inner thoughts, depth or moral ambiguity to their actions or decision-making. Yet, in the infusion of traditional Japanese poetry (the source of the book's title) as one element of their sensibilities, the banality of their cruelty becomes all the more human. As Dorrigo reflects in his seventies:

Darky Gardiner died and there was no point to it at all.

I also respect how the novel returns to familiar themes in his other work, notably that of race in our shared home state of Tasmania. However, unlike the romantic intrigue of the enigmatic Amy, it never seems forced. Indeed, I am sure that the undercurrent of difference and hierarchies between the Tasmanian prisoners may well be missed by those unfamiliar with our twisted and broken histories.


Ultimately, the novel succeeds in exploring the fog that surrounds memory, trauma, love, mateship, race, forgiveness and forgetting. But, unfortunately, I can't give it the full five stars. The improbable melodrama of that bushfire scene, the strange non-presence of Dorrigo's children and the accidental connections revealed seemed too contrived in a novel that encapsulates the very randomness of life, but it only falls millimetres short.

Either way, pack your handkerchief because you are going to need it.

⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ 1/2


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut