Skip to main content

(My) photo of the day



Today's feature photo was taken yesterday in the early evening. I ended work slightly later than the norm, and made my way due north, towards a birthday do thrown in honour of one Master William Hunt, a keen young musician that I happen to know. Worth noting perhaps, his birthday song is "Bump N' Grind" by one R. Kelly (one hopes he doesn't pick up Mr Kelly's filthy habits). Nice try Will, but as fun and bumping and grinding may be, it falls some way short of Hotel California!

ANYWAY. The sun was setting, the moon already high and I'm running a little late. But presented to me was an opportunity to snare a halfway decent shot (for once). Yet I knew that the camera's batteries were low, very low. Could I possibly be audacious enough to try? What about the filthy graffiti that I would be bound to find on my journey? But the light is going and the colours are bleeding from the sky quickly. So I tell myself I must take this chance, I have a very important blog and millions (dozens) of anxious internetters to please!

So here we have it, slightly lopsided, not - as Benjamin has speculated - due to a shorter left leg. Nor is it down to a 'theatrical gait', as claimed by one Dr J.L. Hallam. No, I like to think that it is explained by an entirely natural swagger. One cannot help such afflictions, we just try to get through each day as best we can. It is hard, but I mustn't grumble.

Comments

Dina said…
So glad you save the last of the battery for this shot.
P.S. I'll have to ask around to get the right answer to your query about the kids' haircut.
Kris McCracken said…
It was a nice evening. They have been doing some 'fuel burnoffs' to the south (to prevent future bushfires), and there was an interesting 'haze' about.

I think if my parents were involved in the branch of a church where they had to shave the front of my hair off, I would have endevoured to talk them into another branch!
The D in D & T said…
well worth it, this is beautiful.

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral