Skip to main content

(My) photo of the day



Two for the price of one today. Today I've opted for a shot of day-to-day life for many here in Tasmania, the washing drying on the hills hoist. The background to the story is a familiar tale I'm sure: unwell toddler; vomiting; changing sheets; vomiting; changing clothes; vomiting; changing sheets again; vomiting; wiping everything down with nappies; vomiting; and so it goes!

Thus, even though we have a non-vomiting, seemingly better (albeit lethargic) little bloke today, there presented before me in the cold, hard light of morning was a mountain of washing that needed to be done. Undaunted, I set about the herculean task and by the middle of the day, six loads of washing was completed! The above photo represents a mere fraction that went through our laundry. I've spared the faint hearted from images of our smalls and concentrated on the cute little Henry-related outfits.

The tale of a Sunday spent washing is even more tragic, as it prevented me from presenting a far happier photograph. Illness prevented young Henry from attending his little mate Evie's birthday party, (the fear of spreading the plague to all of the littlies in attendance was alas too great). Spookily, Evie's birthday song is "Bad Day" by Daniel Powter, which I've never heard, but summed up Henry's day. This was even more tragic for everyone though, as it meant missing out on a trip to the world famous Steenholdt ranch, and getting our grubby little hands on some of their magnificent pears!

But I couldn't leave it at that, and have included a special bonus picture. Here we have Henry (pre-vomiting) attempting to dive into one of the many water features at the Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens. Come to think of it, perhaps it may have been the constant dipping of hands (and who knows what else) in fountains that generated the bout of vomiting?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Poor little fella.

Did you see Peter Cundall's vegie patch?

I've got a poxy birthday song.
"To Sir With Love".
Kris McCracken said…
I don't think that the ABC one is there anymore. They seem to have a 'community veggie patch' where it used to be. It's still very nice though, lots of spinach!

Henry has pulled up alright today, back to eating like a goat (no vomiting, which is always good).

Lulu isn't too bad a get, better than Henry's shocker!
Sue said…
I'm so glad Henry is feeling better...young 'uns seem to recover quickly! Reading about your vomiting session brought back so memories...I always called it "catch the spew". I was relieved when they learned how to use a bucket! To this day I still keep an overabundance of old towels...just in case! More to the point..how are you and Jen? I know it is hard on the littlies but it takes it's toll on the grown ups too...there is a reason that sleep deprivation is used as a form of torture...it's awful!
By the way..."To Sir With Love" is a beautiful song...I went to see the movie with my very first boyfriend...and experienced my first kiss...so it has lots of warm memories for me! (I also had a crush on Sidney Poitier!)
Anonymous said…
Hills hoist--so that's what you call that great Australian invention.
Aww Henry, sei gesund und stark.
Kris, sooner than you can imagine, he will be off and doing his own laundry.
Chuck Pefley said…
Your photo attests to the principal of "carpe diem" or "seize the day". Perfect image for daily "real" life in your town. We all participate in life's little chores. And you're right ... dipping of hands in numerous substances could well have been the cause, though could easily enough have been just one of the little bugs that makes it's way into each of our lives from time to time. Glad you had a productive day -:) And that the little bloke is feeling a bit more chipper.
Kris McCracken said…
Sue, there was quite a bit of 'catch the spew' going on. Luckily, Jen and I worked as a tag team and the carpet emerged relatively unscathed. Not so about 12 clean and folded nappies! Luckily he slept okay, he did wake and vomit at 2 am, but we'd envisaged that and I had fresh sheets at the ready, did the quick change and he was back to sleep in a flash!

Dina, I shall pass the message on, my German does extend enough that I recognise the words, very kind. I hope that he'll be ready to do a few loads of laundry by the time the next baby arrives in August!

And Chuck, I don't mind doing the washing. There is a real sense of achievement when you see that dirty, smelling pile of clothes, sheets and nappies transformed into fresh, gleaming and neatly folded piles. No ironing for me though, I've never really seen the point of that!
Anonymous said…
Poor Henry. We missed him on Sunday are very pleased to hear he is better and Evie is looking forward to him coming down for a frolic tomorrow!
Anonymous said…
hmm perhaps I could have employed at least one extra full stop in the above..

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut