Skip to main content

(My) photo of the day



I thought that today would be little more than a mundane companion piece to yesterday’s photograph. Walking through Parliament Lawns as I usually do of a weekday morning, I noted the two council workers clearing off all of the leaves that I posted yesterday. Naively, I had assumed that this would be achieved with huge rakes and good old-fashioned muscle. Alas, I was wrong. I should have known that bulky (and extremely noisy) leaf blowers are all the rage these days. They were corralling the poor frightened leaves into the centre of the park, where a truck was waiting to haul them off to oblivion. That was that (I thought), 'a slice of Hobartian life for the world to peruse at their leisure'.

As noted, I thought that this was the end of the story, I would post the photo and be done, but in the act of resizing it to make it more user-friendly, I noted something odd in the background. Like David Hemmings in the classic film Blowup, there was a strange character lurking in the background (I'll keep you updated if I have a naked romp with two models later in the evening - if confused, go and rent the movie!). Focusing on this section of the photograph, I decided to ‘blow it up’ and have a closer look. Now I could be mistaken, but it does appear to be someone taking a photograph.



‘What is he photographing?’, I wondered. It could be the council workers, but I already had that covered. It could be of the leaves, but he wasn’t really pointing at the huge pile, they were too far to his right. There were no other people around, and nothing special going on. No, the evidence is clear, he is pointing directly at me!

Now, I am not sure if it just the John le Carré Cold War spy thriller that I have nearly finished (wonderful stuff, by the way), but now I am wondering if the whole “one photo of Hobart a day” thing is not threatening the security of the state (or at the very least a risk to innocent children). I know that many of the visitors to this blog are active ‘Daily Photo Bloggers’, so I am sure that you are aware of the current ‘sensitivities’ around photography in public spaces. USA Today and the BBC have more.

So either I have gone mad, or the world has gone mad. Which is it people?

Comments

Sue said…
I am disappointed that they took the leaves away! They look so good and aren't they supposed to be good mulch? Isn't that environmentally unfriendly to use a machine to get rid of them???
By the way...what John Le Carre novel are you reading? He used to be my absolute favourite author! Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy... George Smiley...aaaahhh! A great TV series too with Alec Guinness (before he became Obi-Wan Kenobi)
That may be a 'Circus agent' taking photos of you....be careful...trust no-one! (hahaha)
Kris McCracken said…
I plan to finish the The Russia House tonight. I haven't read any le Carré for at least 15 years, and had forgotten how great they are. I picked this one for no other reason than it was the first one in the rack in the library. I have got Stephen Fry's Making History already out, but the Quest for Karla trilogy (including Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy...) is next on my list to knock off.

I've done a few trilogies over the past year: the Hitchhiker's Guide; Updike's Rabbit series; Richard Ford's "Frank Bascombe" novels; and Melvyn Bragg's Wigton trilogy (of which a new novel has been released). I've enjoyed them all in their own way, but am very much looking for a little Cold War intrigue!

I already trust no-one. In fact, I've had my suspicions that Henry may be an agent for a FARC sleeper cell, but I'm keeping quite about that for the moment.
Sue said…
Yes, it's been many years since I read that lot (Le Carre)...but I still remember how much I enjoyed them all. I confess (without torture) that I love a good spy novel/film. I have never read Stephen Fry...but I should imagine he would be a very witty writer.I always enjoyed his appearances in Blackadder (oh how I miss that show!)
I miss reading...I just never seem to get enough time for it anymore. Because I can't put a book down once I start...I avoid it as it wreaks havoc with my sleep and then my ability to function properly at work! I think I will have to get a job that is a long, long way away and then travel on public transport to get there so I have a lot of time on my own to fill in (and thus not feeling guilty about sitting and reading)!!!
And do keep your eye on that Henry...MI5 are known to recruit their agents young!
EG CameraGirl said…
Ha! You taking a photo of someone taking a photo of you! Who'd following whom? ;-)
Kris McCracken said…
As far as I know, I wasn't following him, but you can never be too sure these days!

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral