Skip to main content

Az men lebt, erleybt men



You may have noticed that I have dropped the (My) Photo of the day lead from the header here on in. I will continue to post a photo each day, but figured that it was now redundant. I will just be running with titles from here on in. If you are only interested in the photos though, they can all be accessed by clicking on the "dailyphoto" tag at the foot of each post.

Yes, it is another Henry post. People seem to like them, so I just keep running them. This one was taken last night, seconds after I exited the shower and left His Royal Highness to splash about like a mini Idi Amin in his palace.

If someone had have told me fifteen years ago that most evenings I would be in the shower lining up pairs of zebras, crocodiles, koalas, rhinos, giraffes and lions with a three foot high tornado with dictatorial tendencies, I would have laughed right in their face.

Don’t I look foolish now?

Comments

Kris,

What does the title mean? Is this some sort of archaic German dialect?

Anja
Kris McCracken said…
Definate trace of German there, but I understand that it is a Yiddish quote that means: "When one lives, one experiences". I've always interpreted it as "with life comes experience".

Perhaps someone else can shed more light on it? I'm looking in your direction Dina... :)
Priyanka Khot said…
i officially declare.. that i love henry!

please tell him that he should be open to marry a lady who is some 20+ years elder to him :-)

he is so cute...

n after reading your post.. even I started to wonder... if someone had told me 10 years ago that after a decade I would be working in front of a computer system for nearly 18 hours of a day... i would have ridiculed them... but guess life had other plans. :-)
He's so incredibly cute!

Kids are great, I love them!

Sweet picture.

Yeah, I know what you mean--the things we do with and for our kids . . . and grandkids . . .
Louis la Vache said…
Kris - re your question at Chez Vache folle about fog in San Francisco, "Louis" KNOWS that rumor is true because he started it himself!
Chuck Pefley said…
That's exactly what children are for ... making you eat words that taste awful, repeating your words when you will be most annoyed, and generally keeping you humble and laughing :)
Jules said…
Enjoy every minute of it kris - my youngest is now 14 next week and locks the bathroom door - sigh - oh for those days with bubbles and zebras and ducks.........!!!!
Dina said…
אז מען לייבט, ערלייבט מען
I'd have to go with your translation, Kris. Or maybe, According to the way a man lives his own daily life, so he looks at all of life. Like, from his own Sitz im Leben. hehe Just a guess, but it sounds true too. Unfortunately my Yiddish understanding only comes via my properly-studied German, which does not always help.
And the Yiddish speakers in Israel are becoming fewer and fewer. I have no one left to even ask.

I love the (imagined) picture of sweet Henry with a tub full of plastic animals. That's even more fun to play with one's grandsons.
Gut gesagt.
Kris McCracken said…
I tell you, from everything that that I remember of myself, and everything that people are telling me, I am not looking forward to teenagers in the house!

Priyanka, I guess that one is up to Henry. But watch out, he has a line of waiting suitors!

And to everyone, kids seem to be both the most rewarding and frustrating things that we will ever get involved in. Bloody hard work either way!

Dina, I hope that someone out there is going to a lot of effort to keep as much Yiddish as possible alive. It is a really interesting language with an incredible amount of history.

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary