Skip to main content

Bovinephobia alive and well

In a story sure to shock one Louis la Vache as much as it did I, the front page of today’s Advocate – my home town’s journal of record – shook me to my very core, and prompted me to muse on it.

First, the facts as we know them:
  • A dark and stormy night.
  • An unlit road out in the country.
  • A young man in a high powered vehicle.
  • Thirty cows innocent of any crime.
  • A CRASH!

So why then, I must ask, this headline?
"Man hurt as car hits cows"

“Man hurt?!?” FIVE innocent cows killed, and they choose to run with “man hurt”?

Unfortunately this is merely the latest in a long line of anti-bovine reportage. It is distressing that the media are not aware of their own biases, and how, constantly, their framing of stories reveal an innate prejudice against cows.


When asked for comment, this cow said, “Yeah, the marginalisation of cows is disturbing”.

I will not even go into another disturbing facet of the story, other than to say that this quote from the story is equally troubling:
“Sgt Lee-Anne Walters, of Smithton police, said yesterday about 30 black cows [my emphasis] had wandered onto the road before the crash.”
What, pray tell, has the race of the cows got to do with it?

Comments

poor cows!

People should be psychic so when invisible cows clog up the road, they know about it@!
blackie said…
who cares about the cows...they spelt Miffton wrong!

My aunt breeds banded galloways (black with white stripe around their tums), does this make them half-caste cows?
Kris McCracken said…
Portuguese-, Spanish- or French-speakers would call them mulattos, but I am not sure if we are supposed to say that in English any more.

I'm reasonably certain that we aren't supposed to say half-caste any more either.

I pretty sure that now we say "cows of a culturally, ethnically, religeously and geographically diverse background".
Shantaram said…
It has happened here in Chennai to a couple of people I know. And one of them indeed said "That #@%!^* cow should have used its horn!"

He chose to laugh it off.
sam said…
what a Moo-ving story! those reporters are full of bull.
Kris McCracken said…
Sometimes I don't, sometimes I do, are there cows still wandering around Chennai these days? Do they have something like ‘cow catchers’ if they are on the highway etc?

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary