Skip to main content

In der Kunst ist das Beste gut genug



I left work yesterday to find a remarkable looking sky. I took a couple of snaps, but can’t say that I am totally satisfied with them, but then again, I never am. I am like Steve Waugh you see, never satisfied.

There is a reason that I have quoted Goethe in the title today. In English, I understand the quote as:
In art the best is good enough.

High achievers like myself, Steve Waugh and Johann Wolfgang von Goethe all struggle because of our have terribly high standards. Consequently, we are labelled as mad, obsessed or inaccessible. It is a terrible burden, divine genius.

[Insert smiley face here.]

[UPDATE: I have followed the advice of Freefalling and made this particular photo a little larger. I will use this new power judiciously. For those interested, I generally like to upload photos around 1080 x 810 pixels, which is a decent size. If anyone wants a bigger copy, I am happy to forward them on upon request.]

Comments

Dan said…
I like the pic Kris. Healthy dissatisfaction is a source of motivation and the engine for creativity.

Have you looked into High Dynamic Range (HDR) photography? You might google it and see what you get. My guess is that passing this through an HDR workflow could bring out more details in the buildings and drama in the fantastic sky. This is already a great pic, but if you are looking for more you might investigate this.
nobu said…
Hello Kris.
It's a beautiful photo.
And you have a gut.
The colour of the sky in distance
make me fell the depth of the street.
Thanks for giving me a good senery.
Anonymous said…
I think this is a beauty.

I am trying something new on a blog. Better Blog Writing
Clare said…
This is a beautiful shot... I like the silhouettes :)
Priyanka Khot said…
Generally, its a picture that grabs my attention on various blogs that I visit. But in your case I love to read your write-ups more. Not taking anything away from the photo, but i prefer your writings and the hint of narcissism (something i believe i have too)in your words.
Rosie said…
From where I stand your photo is lovely but the best photos I have are all in my memory... they are of moments that no camera nor photographer could capture their beauty...
Yours might be one of them...
Anonymous said…
As a fellow genius I feel your pain! ;)

Actually I always get embarrassed when people compliment my photos, which I think are OK but not amazing, especially compared to others I see on flickr. But hey, if they're good enough to bring a bit of pleasure to people, I guess I can live with that :D
Ken said…
Its a really nice photo.
freefalling said…
Sometimes a photo that looks good big, doesn't look so good small.
Could you try making it bigger?
Not that I don't actually like this photo - I do, but I reckon it would be so much more effective big.
As you may have noticed on my blogs, I enjoy a large photo - (probably because I'm as blind as a bat).
I just change the bit in the edit html bit from s400 to s800, but your photo has to be about 50kb.
Today, I have a really imperfect photo on Poof - and It's Gone - taken through the filthy windscreen at 110km and I reckon it looks rool purdy.

BTW - sorry I keep referring to my other blogs - I don't do it in a shameless ploy to increase my traffic - I just wanna show ya stuff.

Also, I reckon you'd like the photos over at http://todaymelbourne.blogspot.com/
he's one of my favourites.
Kris McCracken said…
Thanks all for the kind comments, they are much appreciated.

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary