Skip to main content

(My) Photo of the day, Or Apart from politics and political passion, his was an empty life and was strangely lightweight and lightly discarded



Here is a shot taken this afternoon right outside my building. I liked the mix of colour in the sky, the iron work of the lamp and the sandstone building. So I have posted it for your ocular gratification.

On another tangent, I have been reading a remarkable little book from the late 1970s titled The Meaning of Hitler, by the terribly interesting Sebastian Haffner. It is a brisk read and offers a broad analysis of the life, work and meaning of Adolf Hitler in a calm, rational and neutral manner. This is not something always associated with work around such a notorious figure. Without wanting to make a song and dance about it, I would recommend it to anyone interested in a first-class, accessible exploration upon a theme not easily entered into.

In the words of David Beckham, “It makes you fink, ya know?”

Comments

freefalling said…
I feel slightly uncomfortable about having my ocular gratified!

Today at work, 2 twentysomethings asked me what the "story" was, about the "nazis" - ???!!!

I love William Shatner's Rocket Man.
Fredrik said…
Hi,

Thanks for commenting on my blog, I appreciate it! Tasmania looks like a neat island. So far away though. My wife runs a flower shop and she often sells "Tasmanian violets" Viola banksii (syn. V. hederacea) (Violaceae) – a really popular plant.
I haven't read the book you talk about, but it sure sounds interesting. I'm also curious about Norman Mailer's last book, "The Castle in the Forest" which tells the story of the young life of Adolf Hitler, his origins and his immediately family tree. Have you read it?
Louis la Vache said…
Superb photo!

Now for some trivia about "Sebastian Haffner", in the event that you don't already know this. "Sebastian Haffner" was the pen name of Raimund Pretzel (!).

Pretzel had taken up an anti-Hitler pen and fled Germany to Britain where he took up the assumed name to protect family still in Germany. The name was cobbled together from the middle name of Johann Sebastian Bach and Mozart's 35th Symphony, "the Haffner". The name is also a play on the German saying (sometimes attributed to the Swiss/German theologian Karl Barth): "Wenn der Herr Gott im Himmel sienen Engeln Musik für ihr zu spielen, spielen sie immer Bach. Aber wenn sie Musik für sich selbst spielen, Spielen sie immer Mozart. (When God in Heaven commands His angels to play music for him, they always play Bach. But when they play just for themselves, they play Mozart.)

"Louis" thanks you for visiting San Francisco Bay Daily Photo.
Anonymous said…
Great shot. Have put the book on the list for my next trip to the bookshop.
Dina said…
Ja ja, I am duly ocularly gratified.
But about Hitler--he has popped up in Israel's papers the last week, something about the wax museum in Berlin and a re-issue of Mein Kampf.
Sorry, I can never get a href to work in the comments. So here:
http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1212659698346&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull
and
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3553333,00.html

I love Louis' comment.
Bill said…
ocular gratification successful :)
Kris McCracken said…
FF, Shatner certainly does 'novel' interpretations of the classics. His ‘Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds’ is very, well, astonishing. On the people at work, I spent seven years teaching undergrads at uni, and had no shortage of historical ignorance. We don't teach it well in this country.

Fredrik, good to hear the violet is going well. The Haffner book is a great read, I haven't read the latest Mailer but I know that it got good reviews. I am still recovering from The Gospel According to the Son, which I didn't like very much.

Louis, thanks for the info. I have been so impressed by the casual brilliance of Haffner's prose that I've done a little digging into his background and he was a fascinating man. I hadn't seen that quote, but I like it.

Mo, it is well worth it!

Dina, I had seen that story about the wax works. I agree with the second article there. Hitler existed, nowhere is that more known than Israel. Indeed, the existence of Israel is a telling riposte the fellow. To not talk about him and his legacy would do far greater harm that having him around as a talking point.

On the topic of embedding links in comments, here is a sneaky little page that will help you do that.

Bill, glad that the eyes are happy!
Maria Verivaki said…
very nice capture of the colours of the sky
I see the famous blogging San Fransico cow has ariived. Always interesting when Louis stops by. Hitler on a Tasmanian blog is not what I would have expected. As for Shatner, you tube singing common people with Joe Jackson also fantastically barking.

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary