Skip to main content

(My) Photo of the day, Or Eschew the monumental. Shun the Epic. All the guys who can paint great big pictures can paint great small ones.



It was a truly tropical two degrees Celsius as I walked to work today, after a heavy (-ish) frost overnight. Yet still no snow on the mountain! To prove this to all of you in Internet land, here is a photograph taken from the fire escape of the building at 8 am this morning. You may note the cloudless blue sky. I am not really sure why, but it does seem to be the clearer the winter morning this year, the colder it is.

I have been thinking about things very much of late. I decided that, on balance, I am in favour of them.

Comments

Anonymous said…
There is some truth to your observations. No snow is no moisture in "the clouds" that you don't have resulting is a spotless blue sky made up of water vapor but not enough to materialize and drop in any form. I think. LOL

Thanks for the visit. Sorry you got to see the draft version of the post. I will try harder next time.
Jules said…
Yes the highlands of PNG do remind me very much of the cooler parts of Australia but it doesn't get THAT cold!! We do get snow though on the top of our highest mountain Mt Wilheim.
freefalling said…
Yes.
Generally, I am in favour of things, too.
Nice scene. Hard to imagine snow, and that it's winter there when it is so hot here. Never been south of the equator! Will there be snow there sometime soon?

Yes.
Generally, I am in favour of things, too. :-D
Kris McCracken said…
The mountain would usually have snow by now. It has been quite cold weather, just no snow as of yet. It very rarely snows at ground level though. Jen has lived in Hobart for 28 (?) years and it has snowed at sea level twice.

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary