Skip to main content

Bez práce nejsou koláče

Jen has had quite a craving for cauliflower and broccoli ever since Ezra was born. There are only so many times I can pull out my Cream of Cauliflower, Cream of Broccoli and Cauliflower and Broccoli Gratin recipes, so my hand was forced to look elsewhere.

Where I ended up was with a very nice Cauliflower Soup with Roquefort. Below, I have included a picture taken just moments before it was rapidly demolished. I have also included the recipe for you to try at home.

Cauliflower Soup with Roquefort

Ingredients
1 decent-sized cauliflower
75 grams of Roquefort cheese, crumbled into small pieces (any other blue cheese should do the trick if you're struggling to find Roquefort
2 bay leaves
25 grams of butter
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
2 sticks celery, chopped
1 large leek, trimmed, washed and chopped
three largish potatos, peeled and diced (I used Dutch Creams)
2 tablespoons crème fraîche, plus a little extra to serve (I used sour cream)
salt and black pepper

To serve:
Chopped fresh chives

Method
The stock for this is easy. Trim the cauliflower into small florets and then take the stalk bits, including the green stems, and place these trimmings in a medium-sized saucepan. Then add 1.5 litres of water, the bay leaves and some salt, bring it up to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes with a lid.

Meanwhile, take another large saucepan with a well-fitting lid, melt the butter in it over a gentle heat, then add the onion, celery, leek and potato, cover and let the vegetables gently sweat for 15 minutes. Keep the heat very low, then, when the stock is ready, strain it into the pan to join the vegetables, adding the bay leaves as well but throwing out the rest. Now add the cauliflower florets, bring it all back up to simmering point and simmer very gently for 20-25 minutes, until the cauliflower is completely tender, this time without a lid.

After that, remove the bay leaves, then grab the Baymix and process until the soup is smooth and creamy. Next, stir in the crème fraîche (or sour cream) and cheese and keep stirring until the cheese has melted and the soup is hot. Check the seasoning, then serve garnished with a little more crème fraîche (or sour cream!) and the chives.

This is a seriously good soup, and for those of you in colder climes at the moment, you could do worse than whack on a batch RIGHT NOW. We have enough to last us a few servings now.

This got me thinking about where I get my recipes. I have heaps of books (both own and borrowed from the library), and the Internets has a whole world of options. Thus, I have to mention a new website (to me anyway) that I found mentioned on Slashfood.

It’s called Cookthink, and works on the premise that people often find yourself staring blankly at your refrigerator, knowing that you have got a bunch of stuff, but no idea how to put them together into something that is both appealing and satisfies your current cravings. I know this feeling and the Cookthink tool is designed to help pull separate ingredients and vague cravings together into something workable.

Seriously, with a new baby in the house, and often-cranky toddler at dinnertime, this could well compensate for my lack of creativity at the moment (which I am putting down to exhaustion). Have a look at it if you like time in the kitchen.

Comments

grocer said…
if broccoli is your thing right now try Jamie Oliver's orecchiette (sp) with broccoli (anchovy and garlic and chilli) - there are hundreds of adaptations on taste.com.au and cuisine.com.au
cuisine.com.au also has a recipe finder type thing but I find you need ingredients not readily at hand to make some of them.
USelaine said…
There is, of course, the decadent batter fried approach. That's from an online Turkish cookbook, and I love Turkish food. Sadly, I have never been brave enough to make anything similar to tempura at home. Flying hot oil comes to mind.
This sounds excellent and will be experimented with in due course!

Do you happen to have a recipe for courgette soup, too? We have a couple of massive courgettes from the garden that must be eaten soon and are probably best turned into something soupy.
jen said…
It was delicious! Best soup I can remember, and just as good the next day.
Becky said…
My husband and I LOVE soup. In fact, it's a Friday night tradition at our house to have soup, though I have to say that it wanes somewhat during the hot summer months.

We will definitely be trying this soup soon! Thanks for the recipe.
Dina said…
Kris, you're a cook too?? A man of many talents.
Kris McCracken said…
Grocer and Uselain, thanks for the tips!

The Wife, there have been times that I've had zucchini's/courgette's coming out of my ears, and you know, I haven't moved past a good old zucchini bake or grilled zucchini. I am now on the lookout for a soup recipe too!

Jen, well, you only have to ask nicely...

Becky, it's well worth it. Ask Jen!

Dina, I love to cook. Made some very nice cheese and chive scones today in fact! I don't think I'd like it for a job though, just a hobby. It's a good thing to do after a long day at work.
stromsjo said…
I'm more of a consumer than a producer really - translated... don't let me into the kitchen at all!

Didn't care much for broccoli when I was young but that has changed. A few nice gratins had me converted.

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral