Skip to main content

Henry: portrait of a champion



Just in case people think that I've gone too far overboard with all the Ezra-love today, I thought I better include a bit of Henry for all of his fans out there. While taking a few shots of the little little bloke, the big little bloke wanted a piece of the action. I told him that I'd put him on teh Internets if he could pull his best "Paris Hilton face".

Well, I think that the little champion has achieved sterling success with this one!

The name Henry is of Old German origin. Henry has remained popular throughout history evidenced by the fact that rulers from Britain, France and Germany have all carried it.

Although Henry suffered a popularity slump in the late twentieth century, the emergence of Internet sensation Henry McCracken has reversed that trend.

Not only that, Henry has at least twenty seven variant forms: Arrigo, Enrico, Enrikos, Enrique, Enzio, Hal, Hank, Harry, Heike, Heindrick, Heindrik, Heiner, Heinrich, Heinrick, Heinrik, Heinz, Hendrick, Hendrik, Henerik, Henning, Henri, Henrik, Henrique, Henryk, Heriot, Herrior and Hinrich. Despite a gap in logic, I am arguing that all twenty seven are down to my Henry.

As to the meaning of ‘Henry’, it is rather straightforward. Deriving from the Germanic name “Haimric” and Old French “Henri” which meant “home rule,” composed of the elements heim “home” and ric “power, rule.” Thus, it means “Ruler of the Home”; “home rule”; “estate ruler”; and (I think most appropriate) “Lord of the Manor“.

As an aside, if anyone has any tips on getting toddlers to be a little more gentle in handling, kissing and generally touching babies, I would most greatfully welcome them in the comments thread!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Just catching up. Congrats on the arrivla of Ezra. Hope you are not too sleep deprived.
Many congratulations, and welcome to the two sons' club. I can recommend it all. No jealousy between the two junior umpires, save for one thing: youngest is permitted just about anything, but may never play with a trainset, under any circumstances, even if it isn't being used by anyone else. I have tried to explain to junior ump 1 (aged 3) that this is a bit dog in the manger, and correspondingly mean to junior ump 2 (aged 11 months) but he feels it essential for some reason.

Best to you and yours.
blackie said…
I'm a bit concerned that Henry looks like he is about to eat Ezra. Soem kind of Home Ruler reaction to the new invader?
Stormel said…
Congratulations with your second son!! :o)

You don't have to apologize anything! Your comments are always very nice, and I really appreciate to read them! I am not that good at leaving comments my self, so I really think I have something to learn from you. :o)
Phil_O'Logus said…
Kris, congrats on the birth of Ezra. Thanks also for the cut and paste comment at Seoul City Daily Photo. It was nice to see the term "knackered" used, ta. Cheers...
J.C. said…
Congratulations to you and Jen on the arrival of Ezra!! Little Henry must be glad of the arrival of a new sibling!!
Sue said…
Dear Kris...there is no such thing as 'gentle' where toddlers are concerned. Just make sure you are always there to limit the damage.
I have fond memories of each newborn invading our home when I was a mere child and us older ones (perhaps minus your father, who was rather upstanding and too well behaved for such mischief) working out ways to inflict a small amount of harm to each. I did so enjoy blowing gently on their faces...to see the effect it had when it took their breath away!! (*but only for a few seconds at a time!!! They look so cute when they gasp! hahaha)
PS I did grow out of this behaviour when I reached double digits!
edwin s said…
Congratulations papa!

Two boys. Who could ask for more? And Ezra is a fine name. Henry must be tickled he has a little brother to play with, to guide as well as bully.

I don't children of my own. However, i have 2 godsons, aged 6 & 8, that keep me mighty occupied.

Have a great weekend :)
Anonymous said…
Everything looks so different here. Thanks for popping in and commenting on my Brookville blog.

I like the name Henry too. Henry Myers cut off my blond curls when I was a wee lad and gave me a penny for sitting still. He was my first barber.

Congratulations on the arrival of Ezra. An older name than Henry perhaps? There were a lot of Ezra names when I was small but I have not heard it until I visited your blog a couple of days ago and read your son's name.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Abraham Lincoln
—Brookville Daily Photo
Maria Verivaki said…
you've got your hands full now!
Louis la Vache said…
Super photo and text, Kris!
Henry looks beautiful and very happy! Congratulations on the arrival of beautiful Ezra!
Cheers!
Hi Henry! I'm glad to see you helping out with your new brother. I bet you're doing a great job. Is Elmo helping you? I bet Elmo has some great ideas about babies. I know he always asks babies questions on his show and is careful to touch the baby gently, like the baby is a pile of bubbles he doesn't want to break. Give Ezra a kiss as light as a butterfly for me!
Pat said…
Catching up on your blog! Congratulations on your new son, and also I enjoyed reading about Henry and his name's origins!
Congratulations on the arrival of baby Ezra. Well I'm biased about the name, my cousin is called Ezra and the name has served him well. Beautiful portraits of him and Henry, another superb name, looks as cheeky as ever.May Ezra inherit his mother's looks and his father's sacrcasm and he should fo far. Enjoy your family time, and never mind the commenting,just conitinue with the briliant caustic blog.
freefalling said…
Look at Ezra's wrinkly little knee!
bitingmidge said…
Congratulations Kris!

As the father of three girls, I wasn't so sure about these boy baby things. Then the first grandchild arrived and he sorted me out pretty quickly!

With two little ones I have no idea how you find the time to visit our blog so regularly, but we love you for it!

Cheers,
Sunshine Coast Daily - Australia
Jules said…
Hi Kris - great photos and they bring back memories of my two girls!!! I'm afraid the only way to save Ezra from Henry over-enthusiam and maybe an affection bite or two is to be on constant watch, until of course, Ezra is old enough to hit back.

Enjoy every minute - my two babies are taller than me now!!!
Dina said…
Henry gets cuter by the day.

Sorry, no advice available.

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary